Mercedes & Opel - Purely Hypothetical!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nullogik

Car
1993 190LE, 1994 190LE, 1998 S420
I was wondering about the potential benefits for Mercedes to take over Opel/Vauxhall - purely hypothetical before anyone starts screaming and shouting.

What I had in mind, in particular, was the effect that Volkswagen had when it took over Skoda and Seat. As such, what they've done with Skoda, in particular has been amazing turning it (and Seat) into respected brands.

Could Mercedes to the same thing? Opel already produces fine cars but why not use it to create cheaper versions of Mercedes cars based on older platforms (like an Omega on an E Class platform etc.). The knowledge that Opel has in producing smaller cars like the Astra and Corsa could be used by Mercedes to refine their small car range and perhaps manufacturing could be transferred to those plants for added efficiency.

Just any idea, anyone else think that this idea might have some benefits? I can see a lot more potential in this relationship that there was in the Chrysler one.

Could Mercedes to the same thing? Opel already produces fine cars but why not use it to create cheaper versions of Mercedes cars based on older platforms (like an Omega on an E Class platform etc.). The knowledge that Opel has in producing smaller cars like the Astra and Corsa could be used by Mercedes to refine their small car range and perhaps manufacturing could be transferred to those plants for added efficiency.

In principle this sort of thing can make sense.

In practice it would damage the MB brand. The Saab 93 and the Jaguar X-Type get dis'ed a lot because they are based on Vectra and Mondeo platforms.

That said the new Insignia doesn't look so bad against the W212:rolleyes:

VAG get away with it to a degree because the status of VW is quite high in the mainstream and Audi is a bit lower down the pecking order than MB or BMW. So the sharing of platforms is more acceptable - even with the Bentley / Phaeton.

I would hope MB learnt from the Chrysler experience..

VW used the Seat and Skoda buys to bring VW quality to the lower cost market, without reducing the percieved quality image of VW, could work with MB but am with Sp!ke

Interesting points Dryce. But surely the Jag and Saab example is in reverse whereby a "cheaper" car is used to underpin a premium car.

In the Merc case, a more expensive car would be used to underpin a cheaper car and therefore add cache to the Opel brand...of course then why would you buy a Mercedes when you could buy the same car under the Opel brand? You could skip around that by using the now to be replaced E Class as the underpinnings for say a new Omega.

Any collaboration with other marques would be percieved as wrong. Specially after the Chrysler fiasco.
MB has a profile which would be damaged by almost any joint venture.

I would hope MB learnt from the Chrysler experience..

VW used the Seat and Skoda buys to bring VW quality to the lower cost market, without reducing the percieved quality image of VW, could work with MB but am with Sp!ke

I've also noticed VAG also seem to use SEAT and Skoda as commercial test beds for their new technology before introducing it to their own cars. The flip side is that MB seem to do the reverse in that they bring all their new toys out on the S Class, so buying a mainstream marque would be less usefull for MB IMO.

Mercedes have kind of been there before , when they owned Audi . The original 1960's Audi cars ( as opposed to the pre-war Auto Unions ) were an amalgamation of Mercedes and VW with the engine from a Mercedes 190 and most everything else supplied by VW .

At the time it was felt that VW were getting the better end of the deal and Mercedes eventually sold the brand to VW .

why stop with GM branded cars.

Buy FIAT, and get Lancia, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari in the stable.

FIATs rust like Mercs (sorry)

Or why don't they buy FORD. Then they could get rid of the awful cars, and just keep the fiesta, but at least they would get the one thing missing from Mercs. Heated windscreen.

Merc have already tried this with Chrysler. The 300c is, under the skin, a W210 E-class and the Crossfire is based on the first gen SLK.

Didn't really work then. Don't really think it will work now.

IMHO Opel don't have enough rear wheel drive cars to make platform sharing with Mercedes viable.

As for brand dilution, I never heard people criticising the E-class and SLK because of the Chrysler variants. So if done correctly selling re-branded Mercedes can be done without damaging the Mercedes name.

The only reason Mercedes would buy Opel/vauxhall is if it gave them access to some new GM technology they didn't have.Stuff that goes into the Chevy VOLT for example or Opels new Safetec technology. It was rumoured this was behind BMW's takeover of British Leyland to get their hands on HONDA'S production technology.:mad: Once they got that they offloaded it ASAP. :( The other factor is that that Opel is German and this national pride sort of thing is as important in Germany as it is here.:thumb: If it happened you could forget Vauxhall surviving.:( I reckon their best bet (vauxhall) is the MAGNA buy out.;)
I reckon the Insignia is a very good car apart from some weaknesses in their engine emissions department.-DIESELS especially.

Last edited:
Merc have already tried this with Chrysler. The 300c is, under the skin, a W210 E-class and the Crossfire is based on the first gen SLK.

Didn't really work then. Don't really think it will work now.

I'd have to disagree, the 300C in the US has been a huge success and to great acclaim. The variants that have been spun off that - the Dodge Charger/Magnum have done pretty well too. On a slight tangent, the Mercedes Sprinter - marketed as Dodge Sprinter in the US has also been a real success.

Agree with the Crossfire tho, it should have sold in better numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom