Mercedes Options Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaneyB

Car
C43 AMG Premium Plus
Hi all,
Just mulling over whether or not I should get any of the insurance policies I was offered when I bought my car?

SMART Insurance £399.00: Covers me for any minor dents, scratches, scuffs etc?

Alloy Wheel (not tyres) Insurance £149.00: Covers damaged wheels and either repairs or replaces (diamond cut) wheels.

These costs are for 3 years.

Do any of you have any experience of these types of cover?

Cheers

S280 (2010) insured with Tesco fully comp for 700 quid. I would not even think about insuring alloys separately...

I never buy these things, but if the car's got diamond cut alloys it might be worth it. Hopefully it would be a "waste" of money as you won't need to claim, but if you do scuff them then at least the annoyance would be mitigated by someone else picking up the tab.

Friend of mine with a GLC, 19" diamond cut alloys had a wheel replaced under her policy.

You could barely see the scratch so I expected them to repair it.
I was a bit sceptical and thought she had wasted her money.

My guess is the wheel will be repaired and stored for the next insurance claim someone makes for that type of wheel.

Similar to insurance claims on phones where you get a refurbished one as a replacement.

I don't think diamond cut wheels are covered!
I wouldn't bother with any of the insurance policies the dealer offers.

Dealer said the first £150.00 are covered but the policy on line says painted wheel will be repaired, diamond cut wheels replaced only with a £45.00 excess.

Here's the spiel.

How it works:

Should your Alloy Wheels suffer accidental or malicious damage simply register your claim by phone and complete a claims form. Painted wheels will either be repaired on a mobile basis or replaced dependent on the extent of damage. Diamond cut wheels will be replaced only.
For more information on eligibility and exclusions, please ask your Business Manager.
Why choose Mercedes-Benz Alloy Wheel Insurance?

• You can choose the term of your policy from 24, 36 and 48 months
  • You are covered for 10 repairs or 4 replacement Alloy Wheels, maximum claims limit applies dependant on the size of your Alloy Wheels. Your Business Manager can provide you more information on the claims limit
  • If the damage cannot be repaired to the Mercedes-Benz standard, the Alloy Wheel will be replaced with a brand new Mercedes-Benz Alloy Wheel
  • When making a claim, your motor insurance no claims bonus will not be affected
  • No Excess applies for repaired Alloy Wheels. A £45 Excess applies for the replacement of your Alloy Wheel
  • Cover available for alloy wheels up to and including 21"
  • The insurer will replace diamond cut alloy wheels and repair painted alloy wheels to Mercedes-Benz specifications

If the car has diamond cut alloys then for £149 I think I'd be minded to go for that, if only for peace of mind.

I don't know if it's the case with this cover, but I've heard of claims being refused if not made promptly - I guess to do with making it harder to repair the wheel. So watch out for that - it shouldn't make any difference if they're replacing the wheel, but they still might apply it.

I don't know if it's the case with this cover, but I've heard of claims being refused if not made promptly

Tends to be tucked away in the small print. There may also be limits on the type and extent of damage covered.

It stops people from accumulating damage and making a single claim. So as an example if you have a 3 year lease without this time exclusion it would be rather attractive to some people to buy one of these policies at at the start of the lease and then simply claim against it at the end of the lease to bring the wheels up to standard before returning the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom