Mercedes Quality does exist….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big_Stick

You’ll find it in my newly-acquired silver 1981 W123 280TE automatic. It has 208,047 miles. Engine is near silent and still pulls like a train. Reverse gear has (just) started to go.

There is rust on the front and rear arches. Chrome parts are real chrome…no plastic at all.

The blue M-B Tex/Cloth interior is still beautiful though the driver’s seat base has collapsed. It looks virtually unworn..amazing..must be made from kryptonite or something. 7 seats are a bonus.

The ABS still works, as does the air con. Self-levelling rear suspension still works.

Alloys are unmarked and brake disks are shot. And it squeaks as much as my (now sold) 2003 C-Class. But unlike the C-Class there are no bare screw heads to look at in the cabin.

So why did I buy a car that cost £18,500 in 1981 for £250??

It is simply a beautiful car. I know nothing about early mercs but it is simply a stunning car to look at. Plus the ‘samey-ness’ of some modern cars is really beginning to bug me.

I had £28,000 budget to spend on a new car. Now I’ve set aside £10,000 to restore the 280TE, save myself £18,000 and have a real classy car to drive while saving myself a packet in company car tax. And no more stealerships for me..only the decent independants.

Yes, I am mad. Therapy advice welcome…

Big_Stick said:
You’ll find it in my newly-acquired silver 1981 W123 280TE automatic. It has 208,047 miles. Engine is near silent and still pulls like a train. Reverse gear has (just) started to go.

[snipped]

I had £28,000 budget to spend on a new car. Now I’ve set aside £10,000 to restore the 280TE, save myself £18,000 and have a real classy car to drive while saving myself a packet in company car tax. And no more stealerships for me..only the decent independants.

Yes, I am mad. Therapy advice welcome…

Bravo Big Stick

An absolutely first class decision (well apart from the colour ;) ) :bannana: :bannana:

You might want to get a reliable indy like Andy Gayle to give it the once over so that you target your spend effectively.

Last edited:
Nice one Mr stick :rock: Im sure you'l be able to do it up for a fraction of the £10,000 you have set aside for it :) Keep us informed and lets have some pics as you go along :)

Stu. :)

Big_Stick said:
It is simply a beautiful car. I know nothing about early mercs but it is simply a stunning car to look at. Plus the ‘samey-ness’ of some modern cars is really beginning to bug me.

Excellent decision mate!!

I agree about the sameness of new cars these days - they're all too rounded for my liking. I much prefer the older square-ish shapes...

Good luck!!!
:D

123's are the best cars ever made.... Well done mate..

stwat said:
Nice one Mr stick :rock: Im sure you'l be able to do it up for a fraction of the £10,000 you have set aside for it :) Keep us informed and lets have some pics as you go along :)

Stu. :)

DITTO that :D Would be nice to see an ongoing project like this documented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom