Mercedes R129 SL soft top, plastic windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

volviak

Car
mercedes sl320 R129
Hi everyone.

I hope someone can help.

I was washing the car and I've noticed that there are half an inch cracks to the soft top plastic windows (just where the stitching is). The roof itself is in a good condition so I dont think it would be reasonable to replace the whole roof. Is there any way of fixing the windows? If not, can you recommend someone who could replace just the windows, and do you have an idea of the costs? I will much appreciate your help. Thanks.
B

Once you get cracks at the edges of the windows (usually on the fold line) it's only a matter of time before the plastic splits all the way across - it's under a fair bit of tension when the hood is up. This happened literally overnight on mine.

I used d:class (Chobham, Surrey) to replace the windows in my hood. They did an excellent job and I'd certainly recommend them ... cost was £335 plus VAT although that was back in 2013

They will check the condition of the hood & mechanism before doing any work - there was no problem with just replacing the windows on mine. As an aside I also got them to replace the sound deadening pad under the bonnet, which was in poor condition.

Once you get cracks at the edges of the windows (usually on the fold line) it's only a matter of time before the plastic splits all the way across - it's under a fair bit of tension when the hood is up. This happened literally overnight on mine.

I used d:class (Chobham, Surrey) to replace the windows in my hood. They did an excellent job and I'd certainly recommend them ... cost was £335 plus VAT although that was back in 2013

They will check the condition of the hood & mechanism before doing any work - there was no problem with just replacing the windows on mine. As an aside I also got them to replace the sound deadening pad under the bonnet, which was in poor condition.
Good morning.
Thank you very much for that :).

I have contacted them few days ago and unfortunately they do not offer this service anymore.
I found few other places and emailed them with the same request. One company just replied saying it will cost £750 plus VAT and waiting time is 10 weeks. That sound like a lot dont you think? Thank you anyway. Appreciate it

It's worth running some searches here as there are other places that people have used to replace their windows ... I'm pretty sure one of them was in Chessington? It's a shame that d:class don't do it any more. Good luck!

Yes Ill do that. Thanks again for your time. Best wishes.

Hi there volviak. Worth chatting to canal boat owners, they are always having cratch cover windows replaced on their boats. You might have to remove and refit the softtop yourself though. Best of luck pal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom