Mercedes R129 SL320 spare key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay I have made some enquiries. Looks like I will be bypassing the Scorpion kit and getting rid of the immobiliser for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For good

Hi Dec, thanks for this. I did call them as you suggested however they are 200 miles away, will need my car for two weeks and no guarantee they can find me a new transponder chip or be able to program this to my car however they sat it can be done by will need playing around with! Not feeling confident driving 200 miles and no guarantee for this being sorted.
Can your Ireland guys guarantee this without a car being present?

One other question. Once this scorpion alarm system is bypassed/removed will the central locking also work?

A decent auto electrician will be able to fit a new alarm/immobiliser system, which will also activate the central locking, and supply key fobs to match. Your old Mercedes key will then become a 'dumb' key, which does nothing more than mechanically turn the ignition lock, so you can get a plain key cut to match and leave the Mercedes fob at home as your spare key.

When I enquired in Ireland, I was told the could provide a chip and program it to the car, cost €120, the must have access to the car so car must be present.
Who told you that you would be bypassing the Scorpion kit, can you elaborate on that?

Dec

So basically there are two types alarm/immobiliser systems on the R129 in the UK. Some are integrated within the actual electrics and others have an after market Scorpion system which is fit by Mercedes but is after production fitment. Easiest way to check is if there is an alarm type speaker in the bonnet area with a alarm box and separate key. The Scorpion system can be easily bypassed (I am told) however if you have the integrated factory fit then you are buggered. My car has the Scorpion system. In essence once I bypass the immobiliser my key will work as is. So no loss of that transponder chip which is a pig to find. The other option is to source a salvage key, get that transponder chip and reprogram as you suggest. I can't be bothered to mess about and I have intention of walking into a Mercedes showroom and giving them any [emoji383]. So bypassing the alarm will be my long term solution. I hope!

Okay I have made some enquiries. Looks like I will be bypassing the Scorpion kit and getting rid of the immobiliser for food

Scorpian kit? Is this an aftermarket immobilizer? How the heck did you leave this out?
Yes toss out the immobilizer and buy another one if you must. Mercedes will not supply aftermarket parts.

Your problem is you have no chip so it is the Mercedes immobiliser that you have to bypass, bypassing or removing the Scorpion alarm might not get you past the Mercedes immobiliser, pictured below.

85E5ACAD-ACB8-4029-843B-915FCF8BA2AA_zpsf9wpxerx.jpg

The guy in the video below seems to have a faulty Scorpion alarm, which he successfully bypasses, and solve his problem, BUT, the thing is that he still has his chip in his key so all is well, you, on the other hand, don’t have the chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81jOSKzpaas

[YOUTUBE]81jOSKzpaas[/YOUTUBE]

So, the only way forward for you is to bypass the Mercedes immobiliser, I have never heard of anyone doing that.

Could you put up a picture of your ignition switch, just to confirm for sure that your ignition has a transponder coil around, this will confirm for sure that your key did indeed have a transponder chip inside it.

Dec

Hi Dec, Now I am totally confused...:(

I have 2 keys - The damaged key will open my doors and boot but will not turn on the ignition. The ignition when turned over will crank and the red and green light on the mirror will intermittently flash. This leads me to believe that there was in fact a transponder chip in my fob which must have fallen out. The other key will do everything...

An Indy has advised me that there is a likelihood that I have a factory/MB fitted Scorpion alarm/immobiliser. if that is the case, I am told I am able to bypass this. Now I do not know what a Scorpion system on a factory fit looks like. All I know is my alarm has black box in the engine bay where you can turn off the sound with a key (this key is a small key separate to the ignition) So I am hoping that I can bypass the immobiliser but if you are saying mine could be an MB immobiliser then I don't know what else to do.

Can you advise where to look for this ignition switch to take a picture?? is it under the barrel? is it accessible?

The "MBSS" (M-B Security System) was fitted by Scorpion after the cars arrived in the UK but before they were sold (see below, for my car). But I *think* this was just the alarm, and the immobiliser was part of the M-B factory spec.

Attachments

• MBSS.jpg
    MBSS.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 25
a0248049a98fbee6863be1514ebeff2b.jpg
055b27f597e554878b2b7f23ad797fa2.jpg
e4cce0da4eeed1de35ed509a3046a9a6.jpg
b1c71441c40326379518d933dd25809c.jpg

These are pictures of the alarm in the engine bay. Also picture of the ignition barrel. There seems to be a MB part number on the alarm box. I am not sure I have a Scorpion alarm as per my Indy's suggestion (which to be fair was only over the phone)
Arrrghh why do MB have to stop making these keys when they know the electronics on these cars are so complex!!!

Its where you put the key in, the one in picture below has a transponder coil around it, therefore it has a chip inside the key.
Picture is of a W210 1996

102068d1336630100-1997-e300d-w210-key-will-not-turn-dscn2699.jpg

The ignition switch below doesn’t have a transponder coil around it, there fore it doesn’t have a chip inside the key.

IGNb.jpg

Which ignition switches do you have, the top or the bottom picture?
I didn’t know you had 2 keys, one of which can start the car, I thought you were stranded and unable to start the car.
The small key is to turn the Scorpion alarm system off, that will bypass the Scorpion alarm, however you cant bypass the factory fitted immobiliser, only the missing chip can do that.

Dec

Edit, yes you do have a transponder coil around your ignition switch so you are indeed missing the transponder chip.

Last edited:
ISTR somebody telling me on one of my threads that the OE immobiliser was a very basic device - it simply prevented energising of the relay that sends power to the starter motor. That would be very simple to bypass.

Hi Dec, yes seems like mine has a coil so its the transponder chip missing. In the photos - is that a scorpion alarm? however it has an MB part?: no i am not stranded, its just that having one key is fairly risky given that I have lost car keys in the past. So from the reply above can you bypass the 1996 Sl320 immobiliser?

ISTR somebody telling me on one of my threads that the OE immobiliser was a very basic device - it simply prevented energising of the relay that sends power to the starter motor. That would be very simple to bypass.

Where is this thread please?

That’s a Scorpion alarm in your pictures and the part number is a Scorpion part number, it has Mercedes-Benz on it to give the impression Mercedes made it.

5vpt9g.jpg

Thats the inside of the Mercedes factory immobiliser above, doesn’t look simple to me, maybe a good alarm installer could bypass it, then both of your keys would work without a chip.

Dec

Last edited:
The standard key is nla.

The credit card key is still available however....

Dec - due to your post above I rang Ireland to see if they could directly deal with my issue. They said they could repair my old key with a new chip and also give me a brand new key too. All I needed to do is send them the immobiliser box and my key by post for them to sort this out for me. Sounded very confident so my next question is how do I get to the immobiliser box and where is it located? He says it is behind the speedo cluster. Is that right? Are there any pictures etc? I am able to pop the cluster out but can't imagine where this would be situated?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom