Mercedes R129 SL320 spare key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can’t get rid of the Mercedes immobiliser, it’s tied in with the central locking.
All he’s really doing is replacing a lost chip in your bad key which involves reprogramming the immobiliser and changing the chip in the good key, that’s how I see it anyway.

Dec

No I meant bypassing! Isn't that what you said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is putting new chips into both keys then he is not bypassing.
So you will still have an immobiliser.
Your sending him 2 keys and an immobiliser and he is sending back 2 keys and immobeliser all working PLUS a dry key.

Dec

Confirmed again today exactly as you describe above! Will keep you all appraised how this goes

How do you know this spike? I was told the have stopped doing all keys?

I know someone with an SL in the same boat only a couple of weeks ago. The credit card keys are the only ones still available.

I have one for my own R129 also.

Which stealership did they go to? Any details ?

it doesnt matter which dealer, the part came from Germany.

I know someone with an SL in the same boat only a couple of weeks ago. The credit card keys are the only ones still available.

Any idea how much the credit card key costs? I have both the normal keys for my R129 but have never had the CC one!

Thanks Richard, would that location be the same for a 1996 model?

Dec

2009-03-20_034625_alarm_module.JPG

Sorry after faffing about with the boot liner and those hard to remove clips, I can report that the immobiliser isn't in the boot for at least my 1996 SL320 model UK spec.

I will now have to go with the key maker advice and hint under the dash/cluster. Anyone got a picture of where it would be?

Photos of my boot[emoji15]
50537ca78b81446ffafe26a858c1f36e.jpg
7e28a5d184a7324f0fb8d605b0d0b280.jpg

Did the key maker say behind the cluster or below the cluster?

If behind, then you needs to remove the cluster.
If below the cluster then you need to remove the panel just above the driver’s knees.

Take a picture when you are in there.

Dec

That's a shame, but you only needed to take the battery cover out.

Easy enough to pop the instrument cluster out.

I remove the knee bolster as well to make sure the hook is in the right place, then pull from the hook while pushing from the back. Careful where your hook goes, don't pull from the bezel it's easy to break.

Thanks both, will attempt this tomorrow and report back.

Just been informed the credit card key would not work on my car as it does not have 'keyless go' what does this mean?

Just been informed the credit card key would not work on my car as it does not have 'keyless go' what does this mean?

This is just a Valet key, as far as I know will only open the doors and boot I think?

Pretty pointless then in that case, thought it did everything other than the Infrared. [emoji848][emoji848]

So after much faffing I first dismantled the cluster and the looked for the immobiliser.
5818b75793d303bcfc2f94c6ebb387bb.jpg
4db42ba3dcf4bb337b820ffc0b6e72ba.jpg

I found this unit above which looked like the immobiliser but clearly wasn't as the car still started having unplugged the box. Anyone know what this box is?

Having searched for ages, I finally found the little rascal! On my SL320 it is hidden away behind the heater blower pipe work. You have to remove the pipe for any chance of getting a grip on the unit which is secured by some flimsy clips.

f13cc86aeebccd36e233ff13fe991e7a.jpg
56489b8a62d76d0e601b5e1562258d6a.jpg
16271a779ff77fb337fc0d440ba8e6eb.jpg

There is a black cable which connects the key barrel to the immobiliser.

Finally the unit is out and I am quite pleased with the result. For those attempting to get the unit out, please be advised that the box is located to your right as you look into the cluster, hidden behind the heater blower pipe that supplies air to the far right vent.

Now to take the unit to the chap in Lesta for transponder programming.

I will keep you all updated.
Dec- many thanks once again[emoji120] and everyone else who contributed to my thread. [emoji2]
d43495a6f266d5e0043169aec6584e77.jpg

The first? and second picture PN Q350 01021 is the Scorpion alarm "brains" and is the same as the one in the video below, it is probably integrated with the immobiliser just like the one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81jOSKzpaas

[YOUTUBE]81jOSKzpaas[/YOUTUBE]

Don’t go switching the car alarm siren back on again. Keep it switched off.

Dec

Thanks Dec, the alarm on the car does not work now. Central locking does not work either. So I am guessing they are all connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom