Mercedes SatNav saying 'Keep Left' when it means 'Right'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeremy A-H

Car
AMG C63s Coupe
Has anyone else noticed that at major roundabouts (usually connecting motorways), the latest Mercedes COMAND SatNav systems (at least for the current C and E class models) tell you to 'Keep Left', even when approaching a roundabout you need to turn right at?

Several times now, I've been caught by surprise and ended up having to turn left on to the motorway and being taken on a 'mystery' ten mile detour. After several updates to try and fix the problem (at least it rarely says 'turn left' any more), I'm told this is 'expected behaviour' and therefore doesn't need to be fixed...

I'm speechless to understand why Mercedes think it's acceptable to tell drivers to stay in the left hand lane for a right hand turn and consider this anything less than hazardous? I've seen several other Mercedes drivers go around almost an entire roundabout in the left hand lane when I've been going straight on from the middle lane and had to do an emergency stop to avoid them.

We have these great pro-active protection systems now to protect us from driving into the car in front of us, why can't Mercedes fix the passive systems so they don't put us in a dangerous position to start with?!

Only big roundabouts! Seems a translation error! Annoying but you get used to looking at the map to check the correct exit.

Mine does that too (GLC, so NTG5*2 like the W205) - only on big roundabouts (which are mostly motorway junction roundabouts). I have the head-up-display, and on that it actually shows a "straight" road with 3 left turns instead of a roundabout - so something is wrong there.

I complained when it was new, but never really followed it up ...

Richard

Using my phone the M11 got me a couple of times where it says keep left so i do and come off at bishop storford in stead of stanstead so it's not just merc sat navs :wallbash:

Lets not get started on the junctions after the QE2 bridge going south it's just embarassing :oops:

Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping that, with enough comments here, Mercedes will be persuaded to look at this again.

Mine does that too (GLC, so NTG5*2 like the W205) - only on big roundabouts (which are mostly motorway junction roundabouts). I have the head-up-display, and on that it actually shows a "straight" road with 3 left turns instead of a roundabout - so something is wrong there.

I'd forgotten about the heads-up display doing this and, yes, it does appear to be major roundabouts only (nearly always a motorway junction). I agree this is just wrong.

Annoying but you get used to looking at the map to check the correct exit.

I often do this, but it's a bit of a workaround as opposed to a solution and the satnav still gets this wrong occasionally (see issue above). It also can catch me out, if I'm focusing on heavy traffic as I'm inclined to follow the voice instructions rather than be looking at the map when I'm trying to avoid a lorry.

Using my phone the M11 got me a couple of times where it says keep left so i do and come off at bishop storford in stead of stanstead so it's not just merc sat navs :wallbash:

I had wondered about this as most of these systems get the data from Tomtom and Garmin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom