Mercedes sec w126 rear tail light cleaning and lens removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Micka

Car
SEC and 500e
How do you remove the lens on a w126 sec as I have mould inside the lens?

I know how to remove the unit as a whole but not sure how to separate the tail light lens from the unit and how to refit it?

Do I use clear silicon to reseal it?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Just remove the six small screws. You can't miss them once you have the whole unit out, looking at the body mounting bolts. It may take a bit of careful levering to separate the lens. You might as well splash out on a set of lens gaskets. Only £2.50'ish per meter at the dealers.

I'd also get a new light unit to bodyshell gasket too as I've never had much success getting a water tight seal reusing the original one. The last thing you want is water in your boot. They are £45 each though.

No that is perfect. Would you use clear silicon to also seal between the lens and the light unit for extra precaution? Do Evans Leicester have lens gasket in stock?

How did you seperate the lens from the light unit? Used heat or a Stanley knife to wedge them apart?

Only reason for me cleaning is that I have the clear rear lenses on my w126.

Thanks

Oh I see, clear lenses. Not sure about after-market parts or if the previous owner used silicone when it was fitted, but they do come apart once the screws are out.

I didn't have to use any heat or tools from memory. Just gripped the outside lens ridges with one hand and stuck my fingers in the aperture for the bulbs and pulled, starting from the corner.

Not sure if the dealer would carry stock as obscure as this but you could give them a ring. The part number for the lens to reflector seal is A0019870933.

If your lens has mould, water must be leaking into the light unit. I'd clean it , then give it a good soak it in some sterilizing solution like Miltons.

That has greatly helped thank you very much

No worries.

Post up a few pictures of your car.

I've not managed to get a good seal with aftermarket lenses so have gone back to the originals.
Even with new seals from MB.

Even complete aftermarket light units are prone to leak with new seals on these cars. I found it almost impossible to get an acceptable fit / alignment which led me to wonder if it had been in a rear end shunt as the boot was damp. An old, discoloured original set fitted perfectly.

That was many years ago though. I had wondered if aftermarket light units have improved. Replacement body panels certainly haven't!

Even complete aftermarket light units are prone to leak with new seals on these cars. I found it almost impossible to get an acceptable fit / alignment which led me to wonder if it had been in a rear end shunt as the boot was damp. An old, discoloured original set fitted perfectly.

That was many years ago though. I had wondered if aftermarket light units have improved. Replacement body panels certainly haven't!

Exactly my recent experience with the lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom