Mercedes Service Plan and loan car inclusion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One trick that MB dealers seem to miss is providing a higher grade spec or model as a loan car ( ok could be hard for those having their AMG serviced). When I ran BMWs I nearly always got a higher spec/ range car. After what amounts to a days test drive it frequently fuelled the desire to trade in and trade up, not necessarily immediately after the service but certainly by the next trade in.

What’s being charged for, the use of the courtesy car or the cost of insurance? Important distinction.

What’s being charged for, the use of the courtesy car or the cost of insurance? Important distinction.

Well that is not clear at all. I've been told it was for firstly the cost of the loan car, then told it was the cost of sanitising the vehicle, but the invoice says it's for the loan vehicle. This is for £25.

My wife was called today and reminded that her car is in for a service tomorrow and as she has requested a loan car it will be £30. Also seemed a bit of a coincidence they called her today to remind her of that following my visit.

I was told it was really for the insurance excess waiver but I didn't pay it as my car insurance includes loan car cover.

Then last time, they said they'd done away with the waiver so would be fully covered by their insurance and was free.

I do recall in the distant past being asked if I'd like to pay for the courtesy car - I said "no thank you" and the girl said "OK"!

A good point. The basic loan car was free on my recent service, but they offered a ‘damage waiver’ type optional extra for a nominal amount, £10-15 IIRC, as the basic cover had a large excess. I declined, but as it’s often said there’s no such thing as a free lunch - if they are running a fleet of newish/valuable cars with minimal excess on the insurance the costs are going to mount up!

I really don’t see the issues regarding these charges, other than if you’ve not had to previously pay then the communication could be better. I also suspect some of this is discretionary - eg at a quiet time then maybe the dealer is grateful for the work and sees enough margin in the work being given to absorb the costs of the loan car? I suspect in my experience Guildford vs. Brooklands (different dealer network but relatively close) that maybe part of the reason. Lower overheads and perhaps less ‘passing trade’ means that running a loan car service for no direct extra cost to the customer is worth their while if it means getting the business :cool:

It seems that while the MB Service Care Plan is managed by MB UK, the loan car option is down to individual dealers. I am assuming that it's simply part of how they compete for your business against other dealers.

It seems that while the MB Service Care Plan is managed by MB UK, the loan car option is down to individual dealers. I am assuming that it's simply part of how they compete for your business against other dealers.
After reading all the responses it seams to be the case. I have only ever been to MB Loughton and loan car was always there so I guessed it’s the normal marketing practice for introducing other models of a brand and for keeping customers mobile and happy.

I wonder how much individual dealers get paid for work carried out under the service plan?

The reason I ask, is that retail prices for servicing work can differ. So if all dealers operating the scheme get paid a flat rate then the ones that usually charge less maybe have more room for including benefits like the loan car for no extra cost?

Just a thought!

I wonder how much individual dealers get paid for work carried out under the service plan?

The reason I ask, is that retail prices for servicing work can differ. So if all dealers operating the scheme get paid a flat rate then the ones that usually charge less maybe have more room for including benefits like the loan car for no extra cost?

Just a thought!
I’m not sure on the current plan, but the plan they introduced 10+ years ago (which included wear and tear repairs, but not tyres) paid the dealer a much lower rate than I would as a customer.

I once asked for a print out of the work completed for my service history file, and they gave me a copy invoice which included prices, which was ironically marked “not for customer” or similar.

There wasn’t wasn’t a discount applied at the bottom, instead there was a lower price for each individual line item, so I assume there was a specific rate car for service plans, warranty repairs, etc.

I forget how much now, but it was close to half the price that I would have paid as a customer at that time. Of course that could have changed since because dealers are keen to sell service plans.

Always had a free loan car or lift to town centre offered with services. Have a service plan, was in yesterday and had a loan car.

I would have thought that it was quite simple, what does it say in the contract? It's either included or it isn't. Some dealers have, and initially offer, their own service plans which are very slightly different to MBUK's.

My dealer hasn't offered free loan cars, or collection, for many years; they areavailable as options and depend on what type of 'service' you book. When I had service contracts loan cars were not included.

Interesting post here.....:

....I've got a service contract for £38.00 a month so good value against paying when the service is due. Courtesy car included with fuel for 80 miles and no requirement to refill but £10 for insurance and Mobilo for another year...

Depends on the dealer. Its free at Stratstone Merc when booking online. Having said that its a bit of a piss take. Now my parents have had a lot of Lexus vehicles. They get a free loan car regardless of what its going in for if needed.

My car is in for a service (and MoT) now. They've provided me with a courtesy car and haven't said anything about a charge for it. We'll see if they try to charge me for it when I take it back this afternoon.

Thankfully the car they've provided is a hearse so nobody should be getting upset about how slow the 1300cc engine drags it along. Having half the power of my car certainly tells, and I can now see why many people don't like start/stop technology. When pressing the throttle from stop the computer asks "Are you sure?" then after thinking about it the sewing machine launches the car forward at a rate of knots designed to ensure there's no risk of whiplash!

IMG_0573.JPG

I’ve got mine booked in for the 8th July and want £20 for the courtesy car

On the last service,I arranged for the dealers car collection and return service f.o.c .

Although I no longer have a service plan , previous services I had under the plan at Norwich a courtesy car was always provided FOC.

I recently contacted MB Norwich requesting a quote for a B service on my E350cdi Coupe , to be informed there was a £20 charge to wait for it in the rest area .

Service was carried out by an indie , who supplied a free courtesy car .

Although I no longer have a service plan , previous services I had under the plan at Norwich a courtesy car was always provided FOC.

I recently contacted MB Norwich requesting a quote for a B service on my E350cdi Coupe , to be informed there was a £20 charge to wait for it in the rest area .

Service was carried out by an indie , who supplied a free courtesy car .
£20 to sit and wait! They’re the same group that my car is with for service right now. I can feel some ‘discussions” coming on when I collect it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom