Mercedes sl320 Tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ArfanFarooq

Car
CL55 AMG / SL320 EDITION
Hi all

Following a B service by mercedes, the technician who carried out the visual health check advised I should replace all 4 of the tyres on my sl320.

Whilst still having a tread of 7mm all around the tyres are very old (dunlop sport sp 9000's) and beginning to crack.

I have been advised by my local shop to replace with Continental sport contact 3 ?

Sizes are 275/35/18 and 245/40/18

I have a max budget of £600.

Any advice, recommendations please ?

The tyres will have the manufacture date stamped on the sidewall.

Can you check how old they actually are?

If they are not old, then you *may* be able to submit a warranty claim to the tyre manufacturer.

Hello Markjay

Yes the technician was kind enough to educate me how to work out the age. They are 14 years old, I was shocked to discover.
As he said the tread depth was fine but they are now cracking due to the age.

275 35r18 Tyres | Order tyres online today – Click & Fit at Blackcircles.com
use the following for price comparison to ensure you dont get ripped off.

I personally would go with Michelin over contis as the wear characteristics are usually much better. alternatively there are loads of mid range tyres there too. should cost well within gbp600 too

Just picking up on this thread, while I had the brakes checked this week, the mechanic advised that all 4 of my tyres should be replaced soon as they’re starting to crack. One was also a run-flat while the others are normal tyres.
Wondering if anyone can recommend the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2? They seem reasonably priced, good grip, fuel economy and quieter than most others.

side note: the brakes were fine but I’ve got an awful squeak on the near side rear whenever I reverse, but £60 to have them cleaned up seemed steep??

Just picking up on this thread, while I had the brakes checked this week, the mechanic advised that all 4 of my tyres should be replaced soon as they’re starting to crack. One was also a run-flat while the others are normal tyres.
Wondering if anyone can recommend the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2? They seem reasonably priced, good grip, fuel economy and quieter than most others.

side note: the brakes were fine but I’ve got an awful squeak on the near side rear whenever I reverse, but £60 to have them cleaned up seemed steep??
Wonder if you have a problem with one of the brake shoes in the rear handbrake drum on that side [ broken return spring]?

Thanks, I’ll suggest that when I take it in for a service in a month or so. If I reverse very slowly it’s not so bad but any sudden brake movement and it’s like nails down a chalkboard. It really does pi** off the neighbours :’D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom