Mercedes SLK first service...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tuttle

Hey everyone,

What do Mercedes do for a first service. The car I am looking at was 14 months old and had done 12,200 miles when it went in for it's first service.
Would it be an A or B?

Why would it go in so early for a service?

Why do you think that is early for a first service? Seems spot on to me. In fact mine had it's first service at 11000 miles as indicated by Assyst and was 17 months old.

It should tell you in the service history what it had done ;)

My first Service was at around 13,000 (12,000 was when it was first due but ASSYST gave me another 1K!)

Sounds normal to me.

My first Serice was a 'B' and its now telling me next Service is a 'C' (it was due about 9K after the 'B' Service).

MB service intervals are quite short for a modern car... considering most modern Vauxhalls and Fords require servicing every 20,000 miles... I guess it's all part of the MB high cost of ownership scam!

You should all think yourselves lucky the aged Toyota is still on 6000 mile service intervals and I've had 3 this year!!! :eek:

RichieRuss2000 said:
MB service intervals are quite short for a modern car... considering most modern Vauxhalls and Fords require servicing every 20,000 miles... I guess it's all part of the MB high cost of ownership scam!
Harsh - Benz were one of the first of the longer service intervals and Assyst extends it if it can. I did 106,000 miles in my ML270 over 4 years. Assyst called the services in every 20,000 miles.

I though ASSYSt worked on how your drive the car? my service intervals change daily! sometimes it says 4200 and sometimes 3900! so i guess if you thrash your car around all the time then you will be hauling it into the dealer more often them someone who does not?

blassberg said:
Harsh - Benz were one of the first of the longer service intervals and Assyst extends it if it can. I did 106,000 miles in my ML270 over 4 years. Assyst called the services in every 20,000 miles.

20,000 - WOW I have never heard of a Mercedes consistantly allowing 20K miles between services... that's amazing!

Is that mostly motoryway driving as I heard that increased the service intervals?

Mitsubishi Evo's are every 4,500 miles - and its not a cheap service either.

My cars normally manage between 12-15k miles before they need a service. Mainly motorways, but I also check oil level frequently.

RichieRuss2000 said:
20,000 - WOW I have never heard of a Mercedes consistantly allowing 20K miles between services... that's amazing!

Is that mostly motoryway driving as I heard that increased the service intervals?

Sprinter always gives you intervals of 22000 miles between each service consistently... The same CDI technoligy is used in the engines as in the passenger cars and the engines are similar - They are 2.2Litre 4/5 POT engine blocks tuned differently.

Even if you thrash a Sprinter or drive it as per normal it will still at least get you 20000 miles between intervals (thats why Sprinter always wins Fleet Van of The Year Awards soo often.... as well as other charcteristics such as comfort and speed/performance etc...

RichieRuss2000 said:
yes (obviously - it's a 4x4 hehe)

saorbust said:
Mitsubishi Evo's are every 4,500 miles - and its not a cheap service either.

My cars normally manage between 12-15k miles before they need a service. Mainly motorways, but I also check oil level frequently.

Be careful on topping up with engine oil inbetween services... as sometimes it may increase the miles left between service intervals but often changes an A Service into a B Service (which is double the cost...) where had the owner not topped up with oil than the service would otherwise have been an A. Sometimes you may benefit but at others it may catch you out on passenger cars.

Flash said:
Be careful on topping up with engine oil inbetween services... as sometimes it may increase the miles left between service intervals but often changes an A Service into a B Service (which is double the cost...) where had the owner not topped up with oil than the service would otherwise have been an A. Sometimes you may benefit but at others it may catch you out on passenger cars.

Good point mate - but I'd rather look after the car to the letter than risk anything being dodgy. Company pays for the fuel, servicing, oil etc - so np.

Flash said:
Are you sure? It seems, er, counter intuitive shall I say?

I keep my oil topped up and assyst seems content to open out my service intervals from 10,000 (when reset after a service) to over 13,000, though I opted not to wait the full distance and got it serviced at around 11,000 (ie after 11,000 miles it was still advising service in around 2,000 miles)

996jimbo said:
Are you sure? It seems, er, counter intuitive shall I say?

I keep my oil topped up and assyst seems content to open out my service intervals from 10,000 (when reset after a service) to over 13,000, though I opted not to wait the full distance and got it serviced at around 11,000 (ie after 11,000 miles it was still advising service in around 2,000 miles)

Yes I'm sure... ASYST takes a number of other factors into consideration as well. Ask a techie at a Stealership and he will tell you the same that topping up with engine oil inbetween services possibly can change an A service into a B - like I said in my previous post - You can benefit from an oil top up by increasing the service interval mileage/time BUT on the other hand you can also get "stung" when the A service at the last minute or at some point changes to a B on ASYST. (you'll then end up paying double the price just for a additional pollen filter or something and sum aditional visual inspections...)

Last edited:
Flash said:
Yes I'm sure... ASYST takes a number of other factors into consideration as well. Ask a techie at a Stealership and he will tell you the same that topping up with engine oil inbetween services possibly can change an A service into a B - like I said in my previous post - You can benefit from an oil top up by increasing the service interval mileage/time BUT on the other hand you can also get "stung" when the A service at the last minute or at some point changes to a B on ASYST. (you'll then end up paying double the price just for a additional pollen filter or something and sum aditional visual inspections...)

Oh blimey!

Damned of you do, damned if you don't!

996jimbo said:
Oh blimey!

Damned of you do, damned if you don't!

I agree but of course it is important that we do keep the engine oil at the correct level to keep our cars in tip top shape...

when I get an interim oil change done (in my C240 W202 and CLK55 W208), it increases the distance to next service by about 1500 miles or so, it has never yet changed an A to a B service.

C240Sport97 said:
when I get an interim oil change done (in my C240 W202 and CLK55 W208), it increases the distance to next service by about 1500 miles or so, it has never yet changed an A to a B service.

Thats an oil change (what I was referring to was just toping up the engine oil level without renewing the oil/filter).

ASYST behaves strangely - OFF topic: My W203 was bought brand new and from collection always showed A Services due in 16000 miels on ASYST - 1 year later I had done 4000 miles (not needed to top up the oil and did not do so as level was finel) - one day ASYST showed that A Service was due in 12500 miles time and the next day ASYST advised that a Service was due in 30 days and started to count down...

I personally beileve that MB/DC have "programmed" or manipulated ASYST on commercail vehicles such as Sprinters to give long servcie intervals of at least 20000 miles regardless even if teh vehlcce is driven hard (to sell to large fleet companies) and on passenger cars have "programmed" ASYST to require servcing sooner to make money/increase revenue. Equivielnt of an A Service on a Sprinter is only £140 (plus VAT - which I claim back) in comparison to £240 on a passenger car (I used to claim the VAT backo f the car to on servicing... ;) )

Pushing the service schedule to a B from an A simply means that it's an A you're not going to have to pay for, the next would obviously be a B anyway. In the long-run you would probably miss out on a couple of services over the total period of ownership which anyone can work out will save you some money, not including less trips to the stealership and the appropriate loss of earnings/time/insurance costs or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom