Mercedes Sprinter White Diesel smoke dpf?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Still at this stage have given up with the local mechanic now mercedes want to put a dpf and new exhaust system. Hoping they are right !

Nick
Insect fogger!
I was thinking of you last week since we had the same with the 6 banger engine in it!
In fact it's still in the shop since it won't pass its E test!
The moron that sold it took a screwdriver to the check engine lamp and ripped out the circuit in the speedo head so it won't pass the Colorado Gov E test. I have a new speedo head on order at $700 to add to the bill!!

What's worse is that he took a die grinder and cut out a hatchway of sorts into the Cat and the DPF ripping out the guts of the internal bricks like an Egyptian mummifier .
Then welded somehow the patches back on in such a way that my Mexican mechanics call Carajo Señor Dennis Soldadura Frijoles Gringos! (Yanks can't weld, Dennis, Gringo beans drop welding) :eek:

I confirm the MB dealer diagnosis !
If the DPF and the SOC Cat are ruptured the engine control goes to re-gen basically--up goes the zorst temps to 700c and it is stuck in over fuel condition. Hence the smoke.

In our case it got a complete exhaust system and all the sensors adding up to about a $5000 bill.

I am surprised the shop you had it at didn't pick this up as live data analysis would have shown it !
Where are the professionals these days?

Left for the Americas -As in my case!

All the best and stay in touch with the outcome!
Dennis
Tuercas viejas

Well MB just want to stick an exhaust and dpf on it without even diagnosing as they can’t guarantee where the one on it comes from. It has blue smoke and everything now don’t know if it’s developed more problems or what. I don’t know if it’s oil smoke or diesel
Smoke or what.

Last edited:
I wish someone would sort my bus out i don’t know who to trust ☹️

The is ludicrous.
In the case I mentioned we first did a scan and live data read out plus a scoot up the road reading figures.
We could see very low DPF back pressure readings and off the wall thermocouple data on the Cat/DPF at first then it went into an auto re-gen cycle and the exhaust temps figures showed up 700 c and re-gen overfueling . Then came the smoke, at traffic lights especially. Then came the Highway Patrol Trooper in his Dodge Charger who stopped me cussing about tailpipe pollution.
Back at the shop we dropped the DPF patched --Nowt inside it.
Then the cat came down patched by the "brick" ripped up.

I can't understand why these shops over there won't give you a live data print out for analysis.
I have to do this for the R/O records & justification should all this be challenged by the customer.
This is all too easy!
But shot gun repairs are not the answer !
Can you press them for a live data print out from scan records?
Dennis
Tuercas viejas

Any chance of a phone call sometime Dennis have a few questions? Nick

The only thing I can see is that the air mass per stroke is high... but mercedes sparchatts say this “could” be because of the exhaust but it’s goong to cost me 2.5k to find out and I really don’t think it’s the issue now.

Attachments

• EE869FF0-C7F3-4197-9AF4-BB9A3EDBCA21.jpeg
    EE869FF0-C7F3-4197-9AF4-BB9A3EDBCA21.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 9
Yes I am Dennis

Can you give me three hours?--I have Honey Do 's to do--while She is at church.
D

OK Nick
Have they replaced your "zorst system" yet and do you have resolution! Do you in short now have a clean tail pipe for your bus punters?
Cheers
Dennis

I have everything crossed. Literally they’ve said all the air mass and egr readings have returned back to spec and the zorst doesn’t seem to smell “rich” the genuine unit was a lot smaller than the dpf fitted.

Nick
This reads a positive.
Let hope all is well now
Stay in touch, great talking to you in zee old country!:)
Time for some music !
A parting glass to that vexing problem.
All the best
Dennis

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hello guys/girls, I am hoping you can help I have a 515 Mercedes sprinter minicoach and it is occasionally kicking out putrid white smoke on idle, the oil level was also rising.. the garage says the dpf is not blocked but I've only had the problems since they replaced the catalytic convertor.. the maf has been changed the vehicle has been terracleaned I'm getting desperate now as it's my living and the smoke it kicks out is horrendous it only does it occasionally ! It vary between 20 - 100 miles they say all the dpf pressures are fine and want to replace the o2 sensor as the next option. Anyone help? Many thanks Nick

Apologies this is my first post I feel a tad rude just barging in and asking for help on my first post but I am desperate now !
i had a similar issue on an older model turned out to be a faulty injector
best bet is to get it checked out on a proper merc scan diagnostic

KOEO = Key On Engine Off (see Post 34)

"He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes. He who does not ask is a fool forever".
Thanks Dickie Fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom