Mercedes Supaguard protection - is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike_avfc

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI
I've purchased a new C220 CDI and the salesman was obviously keen to get me to buy supaguard for the exterior paintwork and interior leather / cloth upholstery.

I was told i could get this applied easily on my 1st service and i believe they quoted £250.

I'm tempted especially for the interior as i have 3 messy children.

Has anyone got this and is it worth purchasing ??? :confused:

much much cheaper to get it done elsewhere after you have bought the car!!!!

i bought a diamondbrite (supaguard) pack from ebay and spent two hours putting it on myself - saved a fortune

all you are paying for is for someone to polish your car - for £250 i want them to come and do it every weekend until I sell it!!

My 2p

Supagard

I had a sneeky word with the Mercedes valeter, he Supagarded for £50.

Me thinks much commision for the salesmen...

Mike

The protection kits can be purchased from places like Auto glym, Ebay, dealers valet staff.
The exterior protection is really just a sealer but the interior is good as it's similar to scotchguard.

I have essentially the same on my Land Cruiser but it came as part of the deal. Does keep the grot off the fabric seats and spills/mud clean up really easily.

The exterior treatment does help.

But not sure I would have actually paid £250 for it.

ive a kit i can do supply for 20

i might have an odd diamondbrite kit lying about mr walker pay the fiver postage its yours

No it is not worth it.

The exterior stuff still needs maintainance. It is only a paint sealant, you can do this with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection or CarLack long life Acryl wax.

The interior fabric can be treated with 303 fabric guard. (32oz should be fine) and will waterproof and protect leather and fabric for years cost about £20 from www.thepolishingcompany.com

And all the plastics, rubber etc can be protected with 303 Aerospace protectant.

See http://www.303products.com/ for details of these products

I picked up a brand new Honda FRV a couple of weeks back. Got it home at 11am. Treated all interior plastic with 303 then sprayed the 303 fabric guard on. I then gave it a very quick wash to remove dust (using a lambs wool wash mitt) put Carlack Longlife acryl wax on and left it for 90minutes before removing, sprayed the alloys with Autoglym Alloywheel sealant which is generally good for 4-5 months. I was finished by 5pm (including lunch and cups of teas). While doing this I was able to check the paint over and even found some of the transit protection wax had not been removed completely, this easily came off with some Autoglym Tar Remover and I was able to seal the paint. I have now put a coat of P21S on this and the car looks amazing, far better than when I picked it up.

Honda offered me the SuperGuard treatment cost £295. All it includes is paintsealant, FabricGuard, Supewheels (to keep your alloys nice but if you read the small print it says it must be re-applied 3 or 4 times each year). It also states that bird lime must be removed within 24hours and then the superguard must be re-applied! So at the end of the day this is just as good as the other products available and gives no performance benefits.

The issue is the materials cost about £30-£40 (and you have loads left over to do it again!) but it will take you about 4hours to do a good job. Hence the £250 - £300 charged by the dealership.

You can often get Autoglym lifeshine kits on Ebay for about £25 this includes your interior protectant and a special exterior sealant, glass protection, if you prefer this approach.

So in summary, do it yourself, you will do a better job and you will know the car is perfect, if you spot a problem while doing it you can contact the dealership that day. It does of course mean you wont be able to drive around much when you pick up the vehicle as 303 fabric takes a few hours to dry :D

I wouldn't pay £300 for it again!!

i'd be interested in the kit mr mercman - i'll mail you regarding it!

Just had another shock, the kids were playing with a plastic ball outside yesterday and hit the car about 7 times, each one has a series of small scratched (not down to the paintwork i may add),

would applying anything help ????

i'm waiting on a call from merc aftersales and the kids are treading on eggshells at the mo

:devil: :mad:

got it booked in a local valeters tomorrow for coating on the body, wheels and inside and scratches removed for £130 :bannana:

If you like the Merc "Starshield", ignore the salesman and then wander into the valeters that are on site at the Merc Direct sites.

£50-60 back hander and you are away! (no "warranty" though....).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom