Mercedes to BOOST Production of V12s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Mercedes-Benz defies downsizing by boosting V12 production to meet increasing demand

It seems demand for V12 engines is still going strong as Mercedes-Benz will increase production capacity of its bi-turbo monster to keep up with orders.
To achieve this, AMG will start assembly of the motor in a new location at Daimler’s factory in Mannheim from February 2016. A separate assembly line is going to be added at this site which will be renovated and prepared to meet the new requirements. AMG will continue to follow the “one man, one engine” philosophy, so each engine is going to be put together by hand by a single engine fitter.
Shifting production of the large 6.0-liter to Mannheim will free up production capacity at the Affalterbach where the workers now in charge of the V12 will assemble the 8-cylinder engines.
Development of the V12 will continue in Affalterbach and if you remember last year we heard AMG chief Tobias Moers saying the motor will be electrified to meet more stringent CO2 emissions. You can get the 6.0-liter bi-turbo engine nowadays in range-topping models such as the S65, SL65, and the G65. There are some reports indicating Mercedes-AMG is plotting a halo model with a V12 hybrid due in a few years and set to provide the "greatest performance of any Mercedes yet."

wcf-mercedes-benz-v12-6-0-liter-bi-turbo-engine-production-mercedes-benz-v12-6-0-liter-bi.jpg

Very, very, very good news.

I've not driven a V12 :(

I wonder if Aston Martin might be reconsidering using the AMG V12 - can't be easy or cheap to keep trying to get better efficiency from old engine designs.

AMG boosts V12 production - next Aston will be V12 - S65/SL65/G65 sales aren't exactly booming at £180ish a go...... hmmmm

def90cars said:
AMG boosts V12 production - next Aston will be V12 - S65/SL65/G65 sales aren't exactly booming at £180ish a go...... hmmmm

Yes they are - Downsizing? What downsizing? Mercedes-AMG customers seem to be oblivious to the term – demand for the company’s V12-powered models such as the S 65, G 65 and SL 65 is apparently so strong that Affalterbach will be expanding production of the monstrous 6.0 litre biturbo engines to the Daimler plant in Mannheim, some 115 km away.

http://paultan.org/2015/11/20/mercedes-amg-expand-v12-production-strong-demand/

I wish I could find the post on here from a tree hugger type many years ago who categorically told us v12's and massive engines would become a thing of the past.

Always stuck in my mind , and I love people being wrong lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom