Mercedes to Build Pickup Truck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
vojtwhsle9ybu9ct5lvm.jpg

As part of our ‘Mercedes-Benz Vans goes global’ strategy, the pickup is the ideal vehicle for the international expansion of our product range with a newly developed model.

We can perfectly serve customers looking for a vehicle that offers a high level of utility and at the same time has the comfort, safety, and design of a Mercedes-Benz passenger car. We will design our brand’s first pickup according to this recipe for success.]

Wonder what that's based on underneath ... ML? Or a non-MB (like the Citan van)?

Wonder what that's based on underneath ... ML? Or a non-MB (like the Citan van)?

The latter idea, but Nissan Navara. Apparently it's going to be built in Nissan factories and aimed at the luxury end of the pick-up market. I've seen some comments on US forums that that's a market which doesn't really exist.

Last edited:
Not sure. The VW Amarok has sold pretty well as a 'luxury' pick-up. Maybe MB has seen this and decided to try for a piece of the cake.

Decades ago Mb use to build (factory build I am not sure)) pickups, the 170 diesel, I have used one top speed is about 50 MPH if you are lucky. There was also a ponton pickup.

Not sure. The VW Amarok has sold pretty well as a 'luxury' pick-up. Maybe MB has seen this and decided to try for a piece of the cake.

Ak, OK - I wouldn't have described that as luxury. I think all truck makers have tarted up "lifestyle" versions, but MB are going to have a go a step above that.

Ak, OK - I wouldn't have described that as luxury. I think all truck makers have tarted up "lifestyle" versions, but MB are going to have a go a step above that.

There was a spike in the sales of this type of vehicle in the UK when people (or their accountants) realised they could be run as commercial company vehicles therefore qualify for 100% vat relief and exemption from BIK tax. This made them attractive and cheap to buy and run.

Unfortunately HMRC closed that loophole and they are now classed as private cars.

I wouldn't class the Amarok as luxury either, only more luxurious than some work horse pick-ups. There are plenty of people who like the 'lifestyle' styled pick-ups; you only have to look at the number of enticingly named variants from Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and Ford with full leather and lots of car-like extras.

I had an 06 navara from new. Crappest car i have ever owned. Diffs broke, 4wd stopped working, everything made to the minimum standard (the main earth lead from the battery was about 4mm diameter). Paint flaked off. Satnav broke. Really really plasticy.

Last edited:
The latest D23 version of the NAVARA is built in at a new $360 million plant in Samut Prakan, Thailand

Mercedes-Benz surprises with ute model | Stuff.co.nz

Gee it's good looking, that should really give the VW a run for its money!

Seems Diane Tarr and Dr Z have no idea what makes for a successful Ute in NZ or AUS - maybe the headlights need tilting up just a bit more to truly seal the deal.

Last edited:
I had an 06 navara from new. Crappest car i have ever owned. Diffs broke, 4wd stopped working, everything made to the minimum standard (the main earth lead from the battery was about 4mm diameter). Paint flaked off. Satnav broke. Really really plasticy.

I had a 57 plate from new too, it was terribly unreliable and the worst among many faults was the drivers seat base would randomly start moving towards the steering wheel whilst the seat back moved forward almost crushing you while you were driving! I had a few lucky escapes let me tell you...

The VW Amarok is a rebadged Ford Ranger.

Vw is its own . Ford Ranger is a Mazda Bt 50 .Well that's what they sell here in AU

sherco450 said:
Vw is its own . Ford Ranger is a Mazda Bt 50 .Well that's what they sell here in AU

That's what I always get on the mine sites in AU a Ford Ranger and if the mining company can't loan me one that's what I request from the rental company to Mine spec. It's a great vehicle on or off road much better than any other pickup until you get to the Ford F-250 and F350 in the US and Canada

Now they found a good use for the 5.5tt !:D :banana:

I had a 57 plate from new too, it was terribly unreliable and the worst among many faults was the drivers seat base would randomly start moving towards the steering wheel whilst the seat back moved forward almost crushing you while you were driving! I had a few lucky escapes let me tell you...

Have you ever seen the movie- Christine...

That's what I always get on the mine sites in AU a Ford Ranger and if the mining company can't loan me one that's what I request from the rental company to Mine spec. It's a great vehicle on or off road much better than any other pickup until you get to the Ford F-250 and F350 in the US and Canada

I had several as section vehicles, we moved from 90's Explorers (two with SHO engines) to Rangers, at first I was sceptical they would be a match but they proved themselves to be reliable and very study transport, and even on longer runs to Geneva, Turin etc they were excellent......fuel economy wasn't a problem either, as I didn't have to pay for it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom