Mercedes to Concentrate on Luxury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am still bitter about how our local dealer was treated by Mercedes Benz. Twas a family run business and yet the owner treated all the employees like they were indeed his family. Customers ended up being good friends with tyhe owner and I guess I miss those friendly conversations whilst buying our car. The business was well run, always made a nice profit BUT.... It was not anywhere near large enough for the Mercedes bosses, they insisted on a certain size showroom and lots of new vehicles on display. Because this family business was so well run the owner was given a 12-month extension but then, 'Thank you very much and there's the door!'.

What do Mercedes-Benz mean by 'luxury'? Are they talking about an A-class, S-class or Maybach? Talk is cheap but saying what you mean and mean what you say is more difficult for those who do not want to rock the boat.
If Mercedes want luxury thern you need to cater for luxury and look no further than the luxury motor yacht, or private jet industry!! Buyers can spend tens of millions of pounds buying their new toy BUT...... if you want this type of customer, you need to look after them.

Lots of very good points being raised by folks and I guess I have missed this forum :)
I was also sad when Europa cars, Speeds and Gerard Mann (south yorkshire and east midlands) dealerships went away. They were something to behold in the 80's and 90's. Mercedes wanted to pursue the corporate identity and this is why they have these huge new shrines to the MB brand.

The cars are all meant to be premium segment vehicles. Why not expect the same level of service for an A Class as a Maybach? That's the customer for life mentality.

Its the level of customer service that should set the brand apart. I know first hand Italian built yachts are awful. Apaulingly bad. But companies like Riva make you feel very, very special and valued to the point that you don't ever here any owners complain how poor they are. Same day service. Do you want a new boat sir? We will gladly swap it for you as the repairs are taking too long. That's service.

But that level of service comes at a price, a price UK buyers are simply not willing to pay, just look at the number of folk on here moaning about MB service costs. It will only get more expenisve as far as I can see, but the level of service will have to increase to avoid becoming just another dealership.

Luxury can mean such different things to different people in different contexts that it doesn’t mean much to anyone outside Daimler at this time.

I’m sure becoming a true luxury brand will bring greater margins, but I’m not convinced that it will bring greater profit - the volumes are much smaller.

One of the things I like most about Mercedes is that it can operate in all areas of the automotive industry - ironically super-luxury is where they’ve struggled.

Luxury can mean such different things to different people in different contexts that it doesn’t mean much to anyone outside Daimler at this time.

I’m sure becoming a true luxury brand will bring greater margins, but I’m not convinced that it will bring greater profit - the volumes are much smaller.

One of the things I like most about Mercedes is that it can operate in all areas of the automotive industry - ironically super-luxury is where they’ve struggled.
As I’ve said numerous times before, I think the fundamental error Mercedes made was to not buy other manufacturers a la VW/Audi - it would have given them so much more scope to *keep* Mercedes for luxury (if it so wished) and used XYZ car makers for their cheaper stuff.

They do seem to be flirting strongly with Aston Martin so maybe they are going that way...

As I’ve said numerous times before, I think the fundamental error Mercedes made was to not buy other manufacturers a la VW/Audi - it would have given them so much more scope to *keep* Mercedes for luxury (if it so wished) and used XYZ car makers for their cheaper stuff.

They do seem to be flirting strongly with Aston Martin so maybe they are going that way...
They did buy Smart... 😉

Kind of wish they’d make up their minds.

Most of the stuff they currently allow the UK to purchase has rock hard suspension, fake leather, no interior or wood options and 180bhp. Presumably in a bid to win over bmw and Audi drivers. Next level up is the full fat dechromed AMG with massive engine, 600bhp but in no way subtle.

They seemed to have given up on the level inbetween of understated luxury in the Uk market although do offer these options in the rest of world.
This exactly.
They need to add a profile at least to each wheel/tyre combo. Get rid of that awful MBTex, (I think that a lot of owners think they have leather when they don't). Awfully bland interior colour choices. Seems like just carbon, silver and plastic now.
I have an AMG but yes 1 or 2 less dB wouldn't affect the character but would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom