Mercedes TV advertising

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
I just saw the latest ad for the new E-Class, but it got me thinking. While all the other major manufacturers advertise on TV, what was the last Mercedes to be advertised? I can't recall any Mercedes advert.

I'm sure I've seen the C class advertised and the CLS ... similar 'perfumy' type ads , quite abstract....

and there was one ages ago with Janis Joplin's (Lord, won't you buy me a) Mercedes-Benz...

Last edited:
Advertising the new E class on radio as well - first time I've every heard them. Good adverts - they make you listen, at least the first couple of times before they become really irritating.......

I just saw the latest ad for the new E-Class, but it got me thinking. While all the other major manufacturers advertise on TV, what was the last Mercedes to be advertised? I can't recall any Mercedes advert.

I do, these awful "I am Mercedes Benz adverts". I think they were aimed to do the whole range, not just a specific model.

I think the last specific model TV campaign was for the SLK (or maybe SL)...car racing across the desert being followed by the clouds.

TV seems to be used for brand presence by MB UK - press tends to be the media of choice for model-specific campaigns as it's easier to target toward the specific audience.

W204 was cringingly advertised when it was launched.

Then we had the strange pretentious forgetable ones featuring actors/actress that followed that (I think one punted the SL). These were as bad as the current awaful radio ads that are running.

Come to think of it I can't think of one UK MB TVad in the last two years that hasn't put me off the brand :eek:

I reckon the marketing company saw pictures of the new E-Class and decided radio advertising was the way to go :devil:
Made me laugh! Come on, it may be a face that only a mother could love but we'll all get used to it.........

W204 was cringingly advertised when it was launched.

The adverts must have been so memorable that I don't remember them - in which case it is the worst possible result. Remember a good advert and the car is in your mind. Remember a bad advert and ditto, but not perhaps in the way intended. Don't remember it at all - sack the ad agency!

The adverts must have been so memorable that I don't remember them - in which case it is the worst possible result.

Not quite the worst possible result but the second worst.

As an existing customer the ads succeeded in making me feel very negative towards the brand. That has to be worse.

And the current radio ads for the E are no better.:eek:

I actually like the current E-Class adverts, very classy IMO - I like how the camera is slightly off the car.

Not quite the worst possible result but the second worst.

As an existing customer the ads succeeded in making me feel very negative towards the brand. That has to be worse.

And the current radio ads for the E are no better.:eek:

Good point - but the radio ads had the effect of me listening to them, which is mission accomplished, at least until they started to be really, really annoying!

I would ask if the negative feeling would make you sell a Merc and buy a different brand, or simply be irritated about it?

I would ask if the negative feeling would make you sell a Merc and buy a different brand, or simply be irritated about it?

Good question.

It wouldn't make me sell the car I have. But it doesn't attract me to look at a replacement. I'm not exactly feeling the urge to wander around a dealership or look at online deals.

They have only advertised in recent years - since they moved down into the mass market .

In years gone by , they were up there with the likes of Rolls-Royce , Aston-Martin , Porsche , Ferrari - all of whom don't advertise because they don't need to .

Mercedes-Benz used to be aspirational products with a long waiting list - no point advertising when every car is sold long before it is actually made .

Nowadays , they are churning out cars as fast as they can , then looking for buyers .

Sadly , the adverts are not memorable ; neither are the cars :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom