Mercedes Used Approved Warranty question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattwi

Car
e280 cdi
Hi, would be great if anyone could provide any advice with this one:

I Purchased a 2008 E280 CDI with 67k on the clock in January 2013 from Mercedes Bolton (so far done 7k miles year to date on top of this)

They sell the car to me with a one year Mercedes Warranty and said "don't worry, you have total peace of mind for a year" blah blah.
I break down last Friday on the way to Cornwall and they pick it up etc.
Today I get the email below, does that sound right, fair etc? or more importantly do you think I am screwed here?
Just feel totally duped by so called premium brand if I am forced to pay this.

Good afternoon Mr Wilson

Thanks for phoning me back,we have looked at your car for a lack of power & have found the inlet port shut off motor
is faulty.It has failed due to oil leaking onto it from above from the air intake seal,& the housing in which this seal sits
is cracked,because the motor has failed due to oil contamination used car warranty will not pay for the repairs.
I have attached an estimate for he cost of repairs

Many thanks

Andrew Freestone
Service Team Manager
Mercedes-Benz of Truro
Direct: 01872 520932
Fax: 01872 520911
Email: [email protected]
www.mercedes-benzsouthwest.co.uk

Sounds very strange. I would ask them to provide a copy of MB T&C stating that damage due to oil leak is not covered under the MB Approved warranty .

Failing that I would contact MB directly i.e. go over the delear's head (after speaking to someone senior at the dealer).

Hi. Approved used Mercedes warranty should be Tier 1. Mercedes-Benz Warranty services can be contacted on 0845 641 9765. 9am to 6pm weekdays 9 to 1 on Saturday.
Hope this helps.

That sounds like complete ******** to me, I would take them all the way on it.
I would like to hear what trading standards think of that, considering the way they sell their approved used cars.

Yes, because of course "the air intake seal,& the housing in which this seal sits is cracked" is completely your fault.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't use MB main dealers.

Just had a look at my Tier 1 warranty to see what is listed as covered. Oil seals. Quote. Crankshaft front seal..
Camshaft oil seal..
Auxiliary shaft oil seal..
Gearbox rear seal..
Drive shaft (s) seals..
differential pinion seal, and any oil seal or gasket where removal of the engine, gearbox or differential/drive unit is essential in order to effect repair.

thanks everyone, will do my best to fight them on it.
Leaves a bit of a sour taste though this, as I thought I would get looked after buying via MB used approved...

As said above, contact MB directly, but also have a word with the salesperson at MB Bolton where you bought the car, hopefully he/she will be horrified at how you've been treated and may be able to help.

My current car is an approved used, I had one or two niggles within the first year and they were all sorted without any problems.

Inlet port motor. This is a common fault on that engine and should be covered by Mercedes warranty. I went through 3. If they refuse then just escalate it. The seal is faulty, so its a manufacturing fault.

Truro's reply is the biggest load of bullsh1t I've seen for ages.

Last edited:
They should not have sold you a car with an oil leak that would damage said inlet motor. I imagine MB UK have bounced the warranty claim back at them because its a fault they should have dealt with on their presales check and they are seeking to pass on the cost of a repair to you the customer. Here's what the MB website says about their second hand car preparation

With an Approved Used Mercedes-Benz You don't just get a car. You get Mercedes-Benz

When you choose one of our Approved Used Cars, you get the same attention and care as you expect when buying a new car. Every Mercedes-Benz in our Approved Used Car Programme must pass our rigorous safety, mechanical, electrical and history checks before being awarded our 12 months’ unlimited mileage warranty, 12 months’ roadside assistance and our 30 day/1,000 mile exchange plan*.

In short, we’ve taken a very long look at it before you take your first.

In addition to this, there are a range of added benefits to make purchasing one of our used cars even more tempting:

- We’ll meet the costs of any routine servicing required in the first 3,000 miles or 3 months of ownership of your Approved Used Car (whichever comes first).

Mercedes-Benz UK - Used Cars - Used Cars for Sale

I suggest you print out the page in full colour and take it down to the dealership. Ask to see the appropriate organ grinder-- aftersales manager / service manager and ask how they failed to pick up on a cracked housing /leaking oil seal when they did their "rigorous" presale electrical and mechanical checks ? :rolleyes:

If they say they didn't see it---- its their fault!

If they say they saw it but felt it was trivial and wasn't worth repairing--- its their fault!

If they say it must have happened since you got the car--- ask em how a plastic housing can crack spontaneously unless its a manufacturing defect ---- then tell em [politely!] to stop bull****ing you.;)

Last edited:
WOODYTHEWISE said:
Hi. Approved used Mercedes warranty should be Tier 1. Mercedes-Benz Warranty services can be contacted on 0845 641 9765. 9am to 6pm weekdays 9 to 1 on Saturday.
Hope this helps.

Phone the warranty helpline- they tell you whats covered and in all likelihood this issue will be covered under your tier 1 warranty. Then phone the dealer and ask them to sort it.

Had to do this to get them to fix a couple of minor bits on mine (suspension related) the dealer insisted weren't covered.

I can't understand why they do this...

Clearly no one in their right mind would buy an Approved MB and when it fails say 'Oh well, I'll just go ahead and pay for the repair anyway'.

The dealer know you will dispute it, they know you will fight it all the way, they know you will go MB, and they know they will have to fix it FoC. They get this sort of thing all the time.

Why they insist on going through the motions is beyond me. I wonder how many of their clients actually reach for their wallets when told the warranty won't cover it. I am guessing none.

I had issues with a warranty claim from Bolton Merc last year, they also wanted to pass on the cost to me. I ended up having a big argument with the service manager and got my way at the end! They are an awful dealer and will never deal with them again!

Shak

thanks everyone, will call them this morning, hope I don't have the same issues with Bolton, they were quick enough to take my cash...

......and will never deal with them again!

Shak

And the dealers don't realise this when they try it on?! :(

Idiots the lot of them.

so i have called Mercedes Warranty line and they inform me I have a tier one and this issue is not covered. so I have to pay.
The first and last MB I will be owning that's for sure.

I think you should insist on seeing this in writing i.e. on the Tier-1 T&C document before giving up.

well I am kind of in the sh*t here as stuck in Cornwall on holiday and need to leave Friday.
Mercedes categorically stated on the phone I was not covered so Bolton will go off that.
So I will cough up and pay it, much to my disgust.
Dealers do seem to be all the same, prestige or otherwise.

thanks to all who responded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom