Mercedes V8 engine transplant in another car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToeKnee

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. (Vauxhall insignia diesel now sold) Black Ford Mondeo
Talking with some of my cobra owning friends earlier and we got talking about donor engine/gearboxes and the availability thereof. I got thinking about using an AMG V8 and wondered if anyone had come across a blog or website where this had been done? I assume the wiring would be a nightmare to sort out but surely someone has done it somewhere?

I know someone that put a V8 of some sort into a transit van.

Talking with some of my cobra owning friends earlier and we got talking about donor engine/gearboxes and the availability thereof. I got thinking about using an AMG V8 and wondered if anyone had come across a blog or website where this had been done? I assume the wiring would be a nightmare to sort out but surely someone has done it somewhere?
M113K mill in any lightweight two seater would be epic.

So it had been done then. No explanation yet over how these companies got round the wiring complexities.

Nah, some fella just outside Belfast 😂
Guy's an honorary Irishman for his exploits in NW200 and more. Anyway you are all barking mad over there with "closed" roads racing etc. I remember a film of Joey in his early days, fettling his bike at home and then going for a shakedown run on his local roads in clouds of 2 stroke fumes. Epic. All makes the IOM TT look like a Sunday rideout.
Anyway, Conor on the AMG PL forum might organise an AMG meet in the spring and I may come over.

Guy's an honorary Irishman for his exploits in NW200 and more. Anyway you are all barking mad over there with "closed" roads racing etc. I remember a film of Joey in his early days, fettling his bike at home and then going for a shakedown run on his local roads in clouds of 2 stroke fumes. Epic. All makes the IOM TT look like a Sunday rideout.
Anyway, Conor on the AMG PL forum might organise an AMG meet in the spring and I may come over.
The bike road racing is frightening, I've no idea how they do it, country roads, lined with trees and concrete gate posts to fields, then brick walls.
Joey working on the bike, probably with a fag in his gob at the same time.

An AMG meet would be excellent, that would be great craic. There is a lot of stunning scenery to see here.
I must login to the PL more often.

M113K mill in any lightweight two seater would be epic.

Indeed it would; and quite possibly lethal for the driver unless he/she knew what they were doing...

The bike road racing is frightening, I've no idea how they do it, country roads, lined with trees and concrete gate posts to fields, then brick walls.
Joey working on the bike, probably with a fag in his gob at the same time.

An AMG meet would be excellent, that would be great craic. There is a lot of stunning scenery to see here.
I must login to the PL more often.
Get over there and find the link. The more visits, the more it's likely to happen
Yes, Joey with fag and grease all over him. Honda's PR people found him very hard to deal with.

^^^Probably no need for a rear view mirror, you'll spend as much time facing backwards as forwards.
When we had unrestricted roads and motorways Aston Martin used to do their Vmax test runs on the M1 near their Newport Pagnell works. No secret.
Journo asks test driver: "How can you check your mirrors at 170mph?"
Test driver, rolling his eyes at the idiot: "I don't. Anyone faster than me needs to look after himself."

Indeed it would; and quite possibly lethal for the driver unless he/she knew what they were doing...
There’s a company called Flyin Miata in the States that puts Corvette engines into MX-5s! They’re highly regarded as builders of fully engineered road rockets..9EB26A75-C4E3-4748-8409-D37CECB93A4C.jpeg

Hi,
If you were to put in a modern AMG V8 then you could overcome most if not all the electrical problems via a standalone aftermarket ECU which could use bespoke engine sensors, or possibly the OEM sensors as everything in the ECU would be configurable, a quick google brought up this
Using an MB Auto gearbox might be more difficult but I am sure there is something has been designed in the aftermarket, almost certainly have read something exists for the 722.6 box.
Would love to try putting a M113K in something RWD love to do it to an old E12 or E28 BMW 5 Series or similar aged 6 series, with a manual Getrag dogleg box.
I am sure I have also read that there is a guy somewhere in eastern europe that supplies modified manual gearboxes, flywheels and clutches for manual MB Big V8 Conversions.

If you're thinking M113 or M113K, I can help with the wiring loom as I run a standalone ECU on mine. Give me a shout if you need help.

Manual gearbox conversion is pretty costly but can be done as well. Having done it on mine, I can make and supply the parts too.

Pretty sure Renntech (or someone similar) used to do a standalone ECU set up for the m113/m112 - not designed for transplants more for track use and fitting a manual gearbox.

I appreciate a m113K would be mental in a Cobra but in the long run its probably easier and cheaper to go modern US V8's crate engines as all the info and kits are out there and widely available (bar the import costs!)

Wiring is not an issue providing you have the coin to do it properly using someone like this DTAFast – DTAFast Competition Engine Management to make a custom loom + ECU.

I owned a Toyota MR2 with Audi V8 from an S8 installed in the back that used such a harness..

As mentioned already, any car with a short wheelbase and tons of power = super spin time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom