Mercedes Valuation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The tradition has been that the Approved Used scheme doesn't go past 6 years old.

They almost certainly wouldn’t retail a 7 year old car, they would pass it in in the trade.

Both our cars were bought as Approved Used at 7 years old ...

Both our cars were bought as Approved Used at 7 years old ...
Some dealers do, not many though. I wonder whether the Mercedes AUC search can tell us how many cars they have listed which are 7 years or older?

I look to buy a car outright for a few hundred pounds and run it indefinitely - not throw hundreds of pounds down the drain every month and have nothing to show for it .

Not as simple as that though for everyone.

I prefer to buy something reliable (and by that I include old-car type maintenance which I had on the E55), more modern with tech and safety, and suffer some depreciation which I am happy to pay based on the value of the car new which I am driving (i.e. £100k).

You seem to work on your own cars and are happy to do that which is great for you.

You buy old (well-made) arguably-simpler Mercs from a different era.

I presume you have options if one car breaks down?

I hate working on cars mechanically unless I really had to as I don't get any satisfaction from it nor do I enjoy it. So I would be taking it to my local inde when required.

You can't buy anything other than well-made simpler cars these days and most modern cars throw up electrical gremlins and MOT-failures by the bucket load.

I know a few individuals who have tried to buy old (10 > 15 year old cars), which arguably were never the most reliable to start with, and they have had to bail early.

Obviously luck plays a part for all of us.

I am a one-car person... so if my car did break down, it's a massive hassle and it was with the AMG.

However, I do try and keep my steeds for a few years to offset some of the expenditure.

IMO it's all relative.....p/x always clouds the maths. Arguably its down to cost to change.

I note others have seen models of similar age forecourted at main dealers... I suspect many of those will have been sourced at cheeky money. 30-40% margins between agreed p/x price & forecourt are not unknown.

Without seeing your car & spec/trim its hard to gauge the likely trade or forecourt money.

You may feel £10.5k is a poor offer but dealer will be thinking of worst scenario as well as best...........Dealers have targets & deadlines. If the car doesn't move/sell at acceptable money it may be moved in group, sold to another group, sold via back door to an independent or sent to the hammer......The offering dealer genuinely won't know what your car may be worth sale wise in 2 months time.......whether in trade, forecourt or hammer, (auction).

A lot may depend on what you are looking at stepping into........You don't mention new but instead use the term "newer" This means there is a likely margin on the fresher metal. If car you are chasing has say a £25k sticker on it then that may have been sourced at £19k maybe owing them 21k. How you intend to pay to change will be a factor to the deal also.

The sensible maths might be to sell private for realistic money say £12.5k & push the forecourted newer car down....Using existing funds &/or leaning on some plastic could see you selling negotiating a £25k stickered car down to £23k & selling yours for £12.5k.............cost to change saving of £4k vs the p/x route. Dealers also make money from finance &/or service plans etc.............If the newer metal is widely available in the trade you might source the equivalent (hypothetical) £25k car privately or under hammer nearer £20-21k....so the equivalent of 7.5-8.5k vs £13.5k to dealer..........assuming yours gets £12.5k.

Dealers are motivated by targets & turn around times margins and commissions. I have known punters to get cracking cheeky deals & of others who have been bent over.

£10.5k offer is likely them planning on it getting £11k under hammer or via back door or maybe taking £13k on their forecourt with a tough buyer.

I agree EU6 is key.........I wouldn't change to a significantly newer derv without same. ULEZ is with us. Talk of this at Heathrow & outside London

Its all relative............ car is worth what some will buy/sell it for.

COVID-19 & lockdown won't be making anybody confident.

A lot to be said for keeping a close eye on in demand classic E types as a barometer for non financed cash sales ...........Sure the trade works on PCP's & finance BUT hard cash still significantly impacts the way residuals move IMHO.

Last edited:
FYI

My E350 (diesel) Nov 2014 model was registered as ULEZ 100% discount and without notice it became non-ULEZ.
I wrote to TFL who stated it does meet the required PM. The NOx is 0.02 below the limit.

From the website belwo I entered the car VIN number and got the Datacard information which stated
927 - EURO 6 TECHNOLOGY EXHAUST GAS CLEANING
TFL does not accept this and insists on Certificate of Confirmity which will be in German from Mercedes for £144
In order to obtain the Certificate of Conformity for your vehicle which proves it is ULEZ Compliant you will need to follow the below link and provide the required information.
Home Page - Mercedes-Benz Import and Export of Vehicles
OR email
[email protected]

What I have asked Mercedes (raised two request tickets)
- Euro 6 Letter to confirm the car exhaust system as Euro 6
- Missing information : Euro Status from the v5 Log Book confiming to confirm as Euro 6

Today is 09 Jul 2021 and I am awating reply might take 21 days and I will update the fourms on how things progress. Target is to get things done without paying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom