Mercedes Vision CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Anyone else seen info on this new model? Piccies below:

vision-cls.jpg

Merc-CLS12.jpg

Merc-CLS11.jpg

Merc-CLS13.jpg

cls1.jpg

cls2.jpg

cls3.jpg

cls4.jpg

cls5.jpg

cls6.jpg

S.

I posted pics of this a few months back, I thought it was going to be the new C-Class?

It looks to much like the S-Type from the rear...

Originally posted by BBW
I posted pics of this a few months back, I thought it was going to be the new C-Class?

It looks to much like the S-Type from the rear...

LOL
laugh.gif
I always seem to be late when posting news items heh D'Oh
cry.gif
blush.gif

Do you have a link to your post BBW? I tried a search on CLS but of course it falls under the "4 character minimum".

P.S. anyone else notice they've done the alloy sports pedal mod
wink.gif
:devil:

S.

Todays DaimlerChrysler press release provides some details -

World premieres at the Frankfurt Motor Show: Exciting Mercedes study Vision CLS and SLR McLaren high-performance sports car

Frankfurt/Main, Sep 09, 2003

The Mercedes presentation at the 60th Frankfurt Motor Show is a fitting occasion for two new cars that set standards in both design and technology, thereby emphasising the role of Mercedes-Benz as the pacemaker and innovative leader among car brands: the Vision CLS and the SLR McLaren high-performance sports car.

The Vision CLS continues a series of extraordinary, pioneering car concepts with which Mercedes-Benz has repeatedly set trends in previous years. Never before have two different characters been combined as specifically and beautifully as in this design study, where the stylistic excitement of a coupé harmonises with the comfort and functionality of a saloon. "We are one coupé generation ahead with the Vision CLS", says Professor Jürgen Hubbert, the member of the Daimler-Chrysler AG Board of Management responsible for the Mercedes Car Group. "The idea of a four-door coupé opens up interesting possibilities, and is especially intended to appeal to people for whom cars and driving are a passion."

Excitement and good sense are also the hallmarks of the powerful diesel engine in the new Mercedes study, whose 195 kW/265 hp provide excellent conditions for a dynamic driving experience. It accelerates the Vision CLS from zero to 100 km/h in only 6.4 seconds, the maximum speed being electronically limited to 250 km/h. Despite this impressive performance the six-cylinder engine is happy with just 7.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (NEDC overall consumption) and meets the stringent EU 4 exhaust emission limits.

"The combination of outstanding performance, a low fuel consumption, EU 4 compliance and a diesel particulate filter illustrates the great potential still remaining in this ultra-modern six-cylinder biturbo diesel, and in diesel engines in general", Professor Jürgen Hubbert explains.

As in the case of other studies and show cars with which Mercedes-Benz has repeatedly presented new and interesting vehicle concepts for open discussion – and which have usually entered series production – the project planners are once again using the Frankfurt Motor Show to gauge the opinions of visitors to the show, and will reach their decision for this unique vehicle concept according to the public response.

The new SLR McLaren high-performance sports car is being presented to the public for the first time in Frankfurt as a fascinating synthesis of legend and innovation. This modern "gullwing", which continues the legend of the SLR racing sports cars from the fifties, is equipped with a 460-kW/626-hp supercharged V8 engine which catapults the two-seater from standstill to 100 km/h in just 3.8 seconds. Like the Formula 1 racing cars the SLR has a carbon fibre (CFR) body which combines low weight with exemplary energy absorption for the greatest possible occupant safety. Adaptive airbags and newly developed knee and sidebags, as well as belt tensioners, round off the safety features.

Mercedes-Benz also employs a new materials technology when manufacturing the brake discs. These are of fibre-reinforced ceramics and not only have a high fade resistance and very long operating life, but also produce outstanding deceleration values in conjunction with the electrohydraulic braking system Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC™), impressively underlining the racing car nature of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren.

The standard five-speed automatic transmission is configured for the outstanding performance. It offers the driver a choice of three drive programmes with different gearshifting characteristics. In "Manual" mode the five speeds can be selected either via paddles on the steering wheel or by the touch-shift feature on the automatic shift lever. In this programme the driver is also able to choose between three shift stages - "Sport", "Supersport" and "Race" – for even faster gear-changes during sporty driving.

Thanks Guy, your finger is on the pulse of the D-C marketing yet again :)

Here's another link I've found at German Car Fans that's pretty much the same as your official quote :)

Mercedes-Benz Vision CLS Concept Debut in Frankfurt

A coupé generation ahead of the rest

Mercedes-Benz is unveiling its Vision CLS coupé study at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt/Main, Germany. This new and exciting vehicle concept is the first to combine the elegance and dynamism of a coupé with the comfort and practicality of a full-fledged saloon.

"Our Vision CLS is a coupé generation ahead of the rest", says Professor Jürgen Hubbert, member of the DaimlerChrysler AG Board of Management and head of the Mercedes Car Group. "The idea of a four-door coupé opens up exciting possibilities. Featuring a sophisticated design and exclusive interior appointments, the Vision CLS is aimed primarily at people who have a passion for motor cars and motoring."

Based on a unique synthesis of coupé and saloon, the concept car displays elegant yet instantly dramatic lines and all the classic Mercedes comfort, innovation and safety hallmarks – the perfect blend of passion and practicality. And the same is true of the powerful diesel engine, its 195 kW and 265 hp providing the drive for a truly dynamic driving experience. The power plant propels the Vision CLS from 0 to 100 km/h in just 6.4 seconds and enables it to reach a top speed of 250 km/h (electronically limited). Furthermore, this impressive performance does not cost the earth: the six-cylinder engine consumes 7.5 litres of fuel per 100 km and is fully compliant with the strict EU-4 emission standard.

"The combination of the ultimate in performance with low fuel consumption, EU-4 compliance and a diesel particulate filter highlights the enormous potential of this highly sophisticated six-cylinder biturbo diesel power plant and of diesel engines in general", states Professor Jürgen Hubbert.

Public opinion counts

The Vision CLS is the latest in a long line of high-profile Mercedes showcars. In recent years the Stuttgart-based manufacturer has unveiled a whole host of new and exciting vehicle concepts, most of which have gone on to enter series production.

Our product planning team will again be on hand to gauge public opinion at the International Motor Show. The results of their survey will dictate what the future holds for this unique vehicle concept.

All the comfort, space and boot volume of a saloon

With four doors and a generous amount of space, the Vision CLS offers a great deal more added value than other coupés in terms of both comfort and practicality. There is a gap of 829 mm between the front and rear seats, which puts the Vision CLS firmly in saloon territory. Furthermore, the boot of the Mercedes concept car holds 470 litres (VDA measuring method) – much more than any other coupé and even some saloons.

The body of the Vision CLS is 4910 mm long whilst the wheelbase length is 2854 mm.

High-tech equipment including SBC™ and seven-speed automatic transmission

Equipped with leading-edge Mercedes innovations such as adaptive front airbags, windowbags and sidebags, not to mention belt tensioners and belt force limiters for all four seats, the coupé concept fulfils the high safety standards associated with Mercedes luxury-class cars. Further technical highlights of the Vision CLS include the Active Light System, Cornering Light and the electrohydraulic brake system Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC™).

Mercedes-Benz combines the high-torque biturbo engine with the new 7G-TRONIC, the world's first seven-speed automatic transmission for passenger cars. It ensures supremely easy gear changes and fast acceleration in any gear – totally in keeping with the dynamic character of the concept coupé.
Above text courtesy of www.germancarfans.com

S.

Last edited:
Im not convinced yet, looks a little to American from the side.

Inside is loverly though

Originally posted by BBW
Im not convinced yet, looks a little to American from the side.

Inside is loverly though

I am, I really like the shape, especially the side profile.

While I like the interior I'll bet it's going to be a bugger to keep clean. Heh you'd need to wash your hands everytime you'd want to use the cream faced COMAND :p Not sure if I like the 'Cross quilting stitch pattern' of the seats either, like the pedals though :D

S.

It has chrome speedo rings !!

:D

(OK - the rest of the car is quite nice too. ;))

S.

Just found this link about Frankfurt, the CLS and SLR -

Link

Looking at the interior its very similar to the new E-Class,

The speedo dials, climate control, command, and the row of switches underneath are all identical, as is the ashtray, gear selector surround interior light cluster and rear door panels. But what great designs they are :)

A spy video of the CLS undergoing road proving tests can be seen via the Autoexpress website, or via

www.germancarfans.com and follow link on todays front page or follow the link below. Can't vouch for the soundtrack (I didn't get that on my vintage internet connection)

CLS SPY VIDEO!!! 7:25 AM 10/6/2003

HEAR THAT GLORIOUS V8!!!
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/v...40149

CLICK UNDER PICTURE, TO OPEN VIDEO...

PS anyone have any thoughts on possibly 'CLS' being a hint at the replacement CL and S class ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom