Mercedes vito 122 chip and wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pezmondo88

Hi chaps
Just bought a vito 122 and thinking of a remap and a fat set of wheels but what is the best chip ( most reliable ) and the biggest wheels I can put on.

Welcome to the forum.

Anything larger than 18" is likely going to need wheel arch extenders I believe. And stick with 8.0J rather than 8.5J. As for tuning, reliability of the chip isn't normally an issue. There are plenty of options (but you get what you pay for) but I think the Brabus D6s comes with a two year guarantee while most others seem to be one.

It may be beneficial to keep an eye on this thread or bump it a couple of times because there are some real Vito experts on here but it is a case of waiting until they log in.

I run ML 20" no problems at all on mine, the ET is right.
As for a re map, where are you?

Zenman could you post a full side on shot of your vito plz
It looks like it sits so well.

Agreed

Wheel/tyre/suspension just perfect:bannana:

ML 20's tyre load rating and size

I run ML 20" no problems at all on mine, the ET is right.
As for a re map, where are you?

Hey Zenman what load rating are your tyres? I read in another post you had 255/35/20's all round but were thinking of going 275/35/20 on the back next time round?

Highest load rating i can find for that size of 255/35/20's is 101 and not in X/L - I have ML 20's 8.5J ET56. I bought some Jinyu 275/40/20's with 106 load rated tyres but they snag front and rear on suspension (So couldnt actually run them:( - I have an EXLB viano like you and dont carry actual loads in it. My current tyres on OEM 17" rims are 225/55R17 with a 101XL load rating and have been fine. Vans not lowered.

Tyre workshop i go to is recommending i go with 245/45R20 wih 103 load rating but I think they will look like monster truck tyres on a 20" rim on my van and would rather go with the 35 profiles but wanted another opinion (yours!) -

Also what do you charge for a remap on the CDI122?

Rich

Thanks chaps im in Essex really want prune my vito up but don't want a unreliable map.
Ive got a 2013 ml350 amg spec will the same wheels for my van as i love them?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead!

ZENMAN63 is your Vito on standard springs or lowered 35/40mm with the 20'' wheels in the photo?

I got carried away and lowered mine on Spax springs straight away before i sorted wheels, I'm now looking at 20'' wheels but worried about squeezing them in and can't find any solid info on here or elsewhere online?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Hi, What are you asking?
My old vito had Spax all round and 19" alloys.
My old Viano had 20" ML, GL alloys and 255/40/20 tyres, that had Eibach on the front and air on the rear with my lowering rods.

Hey Zenman what load rating are your tyres? I read in another post you had 255/35/20's all round but were thinking of going 275/35/20 on the back next time round?

Highest load rating i can find for that size of 255/35/20's is 101 and not in X/L - I have ML 20's 8.5J ET56. I bought some Jinyu 275/40/20's with 106 load rated tyres but they snag front and rear on suspension (So couldnt actually run them:( - I have an EXLB viano like you and dont carry actual loads in it. My current tyres on OEM 17" rims are 225/55R17 with a 101XL load rating and have been fine. Vans not lowered.

Tyre workshop i go to is recommending i go with 245/45R20 wih 103 load rating but I think they will look like monster truck tyres on a 20" rim on my van and would rather go with the 35 profiles but wanted another opinion (yours!) -

Also what do you charge for a remap on the CDI122?

The tyres in that picture are just cheap and I fitted Michelin 255/40/20 all round.

Load rating

Legally you have to use tyres that meet (or exceed) the manufacturer's specification for that vehicle
UK law does stipulate replacement tyres must have a Load Index equal to or higher than the original fit tyre.

http://xukht3z7r3u3afw993ylh21d.wpe...Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

It's also an MOT fail if you use a lower load rating:
Reason for rejection:

a tyre that has a load index (or ply rating and tyre size) that is inadequate for the permitted maximum laden weight of the axle to which it is fitted.

MOT Testers Manual - tyres

It would invalidate your insurance too.

Also you have to be carful that the wheels themselves are load rated for the weight

Have seen car wheels put into vans that have cracked and broken

Insurance company refused to pay as incorrect wheels fitted even though was a genuine merc wheel

Simonv8 said:
Also you have to be carful that the wheels themselves are load rated for the weight Have seen car wheels put onto vans that have cracked and broken Insurance company refused to pay as incorrect wheels fitted even though was a genuine merc wheel

I have a torqtech box on my 122 puts out 270hp
They don't do the box anymore but do remaps now
Think they are near silverstone

I had my 122 remapped by Celtic tuning now puts out 275hp with no adverse effect on gearbox or other components?, I run 20" ML alloys with 255/40 101y tyres.

Mine always went to MB dealers for MOT and never a problem with tyre index as it was reg as a car.

AFAIK the Vito and Viano / V Class have the same max. GVW (which is what it's based on). Maybe you were lucky, or the check was only added to the MOT recently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom