Mercedes Vito Gear problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonnerefc

Car
Mercedes Vito 115CDI
Hi, Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, I have a 2007 Vito traveliner 115cdi. I always start the engine with the clutch engaged. when i go into gear it shifts smooth and perfect, but if i come to stop and go into neutral going back into first is very hard to select and have to really force it into first.

If the engine is off i can go into any gear and into neutral and back into gear as normal, but can't do it when the engine is running? bit confusing!

has anyone come across this?

it has done 155k miles, clutch & DMF changed 25k miles ago, gearbox oil changed to ATF 10k miles ago. has also had the nylon bush on gear stick changed not that long ago, tried adjusting gear cables myself but made no difference.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ashley

Hi, Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, I have a 2007 Vito traveliner 115cdi. I always start the engine with the clutch engaged. when i go into gear it shifts smooth and perfect, but if i come to stop and go into neutral going back into first is very hard to select and have to really force it into first.

If the engine is off i can go into any gear and into neutral and back into gear as normal, but can't do it when the engine is running? bit confusing!

it has done 155k miles, clutch & DMF changed 25k miles ago, gearbox oil changed to ATF 10k miles ago. has also had the nylon bush on gear stick changed not that long ago, tried adjusting gear cables myself but made no difference.

Thanks

Ashley
Hi Ashley, just reading the issues you are having with your Vito. This you tube link may help with the issues you are having.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
after watching I realised I have a similar problem and it appears to be a common problem with manual Vitos. I purchased the nylon brush from eBay for just under £10, as yet I haven't had the time to fit it, but thought yours maybe a similar problem.
Hopefully this is helpful. Regards Steven

Thanks

Ashley
Hi
Did you solve the problem?

No still the same mate.

Sorry for late reply, i already looked at that post and had no luck thanks anyway.

Sorry for late reply, i already looked at that post and had no luck thanks anyway.
That's surprising. You changed the gearbox oil to the specification he indicates and it made no difference.? I'm utterly amazed.
Fwiw when I rebuilt my gearbox I filled the reconditioned unit with Merc' spec of oil. It was great to start with, however when the weather turned cold I started to have precisely the same issue that you are reporting.
It was then that I found his website & read about the alternative oil. I was a good few hundred pounds into my gearbox, so for the sake of buying some of the alternative fluid he identified I felt it was worth a shot (without any great confidence, and begrudgingly having to drain out the MB oil I had only installed about a thou' miles before).
(In my case) The improvement was instant, and a revelation. Smooth gear changes ever since (about 30k since then) & I've never looked back.

My gearbox rebuild fyi.: Vito 639 Gearbox repair. | Engine

Yes I did the same with oil and did make changes smooth. But still hasn't fixed the problem I have posted about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom