Mercedes Vito MK1 Engine Swap???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TaffPhillips

Car
Vito Mk1
Hi there

I am currently having a MK1 Vito extensively refurbished and whilst the engine is out was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on whether I could have a bigger lump dropped in it?

I would like to go to an E320 CDI engine rather than the 2.2 CDI that is currently in there.

Does anyone know if the 3 litre engine will bolt on to my current gearbox or indeed of there is room under the hood of the Vito.

Admittedly it's a bit of a vanity project, but after a remap and custom exhaust it would be cool to be driving around in a 250+ HP / 450+ Nm van!

All advice and comments are welcomed.

Cheers

Taff

Mercedes-Benz Vito - Wikipedia

Here's the engines that will fit, however if your good with spanner and a welding torch, the world is your oyster, I've built years a go a V8 mini so yes it can be done..
Thanks for the link, I had a look at the wiki page and do still have a question??

The W638 is only listed with a 2.2 CDI or 2.3 non turbo diesel. I don't want to move to a petrol variant.

So, based on the link you provided do you think the W639 3.0L V6 would marry up (obviously with Engine Mount adaptation) straight to the gearbox?

Or

Would my best bet be buying an a tatty E320 CDI and using the he Engine, Gearbox, ECU, Fuel Pump etc??

Cheers for an assistance you can offer.

Taff

Probably the latter Taff, buy the tatty 320 and use all the parts you can off it and if you can store it whilst doing so sell parts to recoup some of your monies. The donor car will give you everything you need.

Probably the latter Taff, buy the tatty 320 and use all the parts you can off it and if you can store it whilst doing so sell parts to recoup some of your monies. The donor car will give you everything you need.

Awesome, thanks very much, although I have to admit it's not me doing the work, it would be the garage doing my restoration that would carry it out for me.

The van is currently stripped down to a shell ready for treatment of the dreaded MK1 Vito rust!

Once the project has progressed a bit further I will start a separate thread on the build, hopefully with a bigger engine in there!!

Many thanks for all your help.

Tafg

It would be interesting to see the cost of this.

Where the rust is worst (Inner wings and sills) they are all being cut out and replaced, the minor patches will be treated.

Taff

It would be interesting to see the cost of this.

When you say it will be interesting to see the cost, do you mean of a 3.0L upgrade?

Found a donor car for £500 and the engine is already out of the Vito.

Will have to see if the garage is prepared to do such a job then will get the quote!!!

Taff

It will be interesting to see the cost of the project, however it turns out.

I'm guessing that the 3 litre engine desired would be the inline 6, others will know better but I would have expected that to be too long for an easy swap.
The likes of the Vito and C class pre 2005 wouldn't take the longer unit I thought. The C class came with the 5 cyl 2.7 until the development of the V6. I expected the 639 would have the same limitation, is the 638 longer in the engine bay?

A little more thinking.
I had a 2007 Vito 115 that had had it's 2148cc lump mapped from new. A nuisance in that the increased low end torque would fight the parking brake when stationary (lights and such like), but its tractability was better than my now V6 CDI Viano (204Hp), not mapped.
Since this is a van, and I no longer race everywhere, I consider a mapped 2.1CDI to be more than enough for me, and more economical, and would be my choice if buying again.

I have seen a 639 V6 mapped to over 400Hp, larger turbo and no doubt other 'tweaks'. The 20" wheels would mean expensive tyres and as he liked to demonstrate the vans ability their replacement would be frequent.
Everyone to their own.

It will be interesting to see the cost of the project, however it turns out.

I'm guessing that the 3 litre engine desired would be the inline 6, others will know better but I would have expected that to be too long for an easy swap.
The likes of the Vito and C class pre 2005 wouldn't take the longer unit I thought. The C class came with the 5 cyl 2.7 until the development of the V6. I expected the 639 would have the same limitation, is the 638 longer in the engine bay?
I think you are right that there will be issued with the unit length. The other issue is a lot of the Mercs are rear wheel drive whereas the Vito is front wheel drive so the chassis are different.

I just read on another forum of someone dropping W220 S Class in a Vito and that was a 5 Litre V8!! Apparently it's virtually a "Nuts and Bolts Swap"?? Going to try and contact them for some advice.

The full project is setting me back a fair bit as the van is being stripped back to shell, full rust cut out/treatment, respray, bodykit, led lights, full interior fit with 6 seats with adaptation to carry motorbike, new brakes and hoses, suspension, alloys.

I wonder if I'm now taking it too far with a full engine swap though!?!

Why do I need a MK1 Vito with 300HP? Just because...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

At least with the V8 you can also consider a gas conversion.

At least with the V8 you can also consider a gas conversion.
True, otherwise by the time I finish paying for the conversion I won't be able to afford to actually put any fuel in it!!

I'll start another thread once the project progresses further.

Why do I need a MK1 Vito with 300HP? Just because...

Absolutely! And also because of this..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Pure Grin Factor alone..its your toy at the end of the day.. so enjoy..;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom