Mercedes W114 250 Coupe - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm baffled tbh - but interesting all the same.

This is, with slight differences, pretty much how contemporary hydrocarbon fuelled cars are set up, so ask away as this is a great way to learn about how your car works.

MS2 ECU with built in MAP sensor - (we will take the vacuum using a banjo union from the place on the manifold that an auto box would, so no worries about any leaks elsewhere in the vacuum system). The priority between TPS and MAP sensor input into the map to be determined.

The ECU is set up for inline 6 with twin batch injector firing

ECU includes a switch for two fuel /ignition Maps (my plan is to set the car up on super unleaded and have a switch in case I need to fuel with lower spec) and has an electronic fan switch controlled from the coolant temperature.

Most probably Kenlowe type electronic sucking fan but that is still to be sized.

EDIS coilpacks with EDIS controller, which will have a unique feature that has been christened Bellow Jetronic (or B Jet for short)

Spartan 2 WideBand Lambda Controller and Bosch 4.9 Lambda Sensor

Bosch stepper motor Idle control Valve

Bosch CPS looking through to 36-1 trigger wheel on the rear of the flywheel

Bosch injectors (I forget the part number but will find it)

Bosch Throttle position sensor using the old TPS mounting point

Inlet air temp sensor (think it's Bosch, can't recall)

Coolant temperature sensor - a VDO one which is the only one I could find to fit the old sensor location.

All the sensors have been bought with a view to easy replacement if necessary.

Tuning to be done with MS Tuner Studio

New Bosch fuel pump from M110 with fuel filter and accumulator for the same engine.

I understood about two lines from this post Charles, I dabbled with a spanner on old VW's, but now consign myself to opening the bonnet and swearing at my stupidity on being unable fathom how to remove the engine cover.

I'll get to reading the previous pages on this project as I could learn a fair bit I imagine.

Oh, btw, it looks like you are missing the chrome surrounds on your instruments..

Oh, btw, it looks like you are missing the chrome surrounds on your instruments..

Rending of hair, wailing and gnashing of teeth sounds coming from Morgan residence as we speak.

I can explain how it all works (with the obvious danger of getting it entirely wrong!)

The ECU is set up for inline 6 with twin batch injector firing.
I take it from this you will using a kind of twin CIS [ continuous injection system] by firing two banks of 3 injectors ALTERNATELY/SIMULTANEOUSLY?? A set up readily controlled by the 2 injector outputs standard on the Megasquirt 2 board which obviates the need for any extra injector drive components needed for an individual sequential injector set up where they are fired individually. This set up may well be aided by those long inlet pipes acting as mixture reservoirs assuming you intend keeping them?

Two banks of injectors firing alternating (just like the existing D Jet).

No change planned to manifold arrangements at all. The injectors will slot in to the existing injector holes on the cylinder head.

Learning of the lack of chrome instrument surrounds has, quite frankly, ruined this thread for me.

If I had realised on page 1 that Charles - so called Morgan - was going to do such a shoddy and slapdash rebuild I would never have returned.

Good bye!

Since that G Wagen turned up, I've really started to worry about Palfrem.

I absolutely applaud your efforts on this venture, and that tongue in cheek jibe aside, wish for a most successful conclusion to your w114 foray.

Beige metallic is definitely what I would prefer over the Anthrazit grau. I don't think you could have got away with green. It just doesn't suit a Mercedes and yet a British motor of the era it would.

Since that G Wagen turned up, I've really started to worry about Palfrem.

The G has been off sick for a while with a head gasket issue.

It's being fixed at no cost to me but following my new ICD I cannot drive for a month so I have become mindlessly fussy.

I absolutely applaud your efforts on this venture, and that tongue in cheek jibe aside, wish for a most successful conclusion to your w114 foray.

Beige metallic is definitely what I would prefer over the Anthrazit grau. I don't think you could have got away with green. It just doesn't suit a Mercedes and yet a British motor of the era it would.

I ended up with Arabergrau - not merely because its colour code is 124 - a flat colour of really delicious tone.

bootlid_zps0ryfzksh.jpg

What about this green beauty :D

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 37
For the utility of the thread to me and others looking in, there will be a lot about the Megasquirt conversion which I'd rather leave as a concentrated topic with little deviation. So for my benefit, could we not go too far off that please?

Quick update, gearbox shifters are all now connected to box and the gearlever is engaging all gears (wasn't there to try it but Billy says 1 & 2 have a very long throw yet 3 & 4 are really very direct.

Driveshafts now clipped into diff and that is now bolted up. The fuel lines were being plumbed around the pump and the tank when I left, fuel rail and engine fuel piping now designed so the rail went off to the machine shop to be drilled for injectors and tapped for connectors to the 8mm piping. I also took in the water pump crank and spare pump to have a 4mm washer made to ensure the fan pulley lines up. We will do an electronic fan later but I decided to stick to viscous to avoid getting a mounting made at this stage. Just keen to get the loom in and it goes on the list of later mods.

Quick update, gearbox shifters are all now connected to box and the gearlever is engaging all gears (wasn't there to try it but Billy says 1 & 2 have a very long throw yet 3 & 4 are really very direct.

If you feel the need you can solve the long throw by simply lengthening/making a longer gear selector rod on 1st & 2nd, usually about 7-13 mm extra length does the trick. Worth investigating if nothing more. Also consider bronze bushes instead of the rubber one's, won't help the throw but will improve the feel.

Thanks JJJr - I'll see how I get on with the box in daily driving. I strongly expect I shall need to improve it!

If 1&2 are long throw and 3&4 are very direct could the gearbox external levers possibly be interposed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom