Mercedes W114 vs. W123 - Coupe Comparison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidhunternyc

Car
Subway
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I live in NYC and ride the subway to work. I don't own a car. Originally I'm from So.Cal and I miss driving. I would like to get a car here in the city. I would have to pay for garage parking so the cost of ownership will be expensive. I love classic Mercedes. I have a few books but I've never driven one myself. It's not like I can get into my own car and go to a meet of Mercedes enthusiasts. For now, I'm learning from books and on forums such as this. You're all experts. Today, I discovered two classic coupes that I would consider buying.

Of course, with both of these cars, condition is of paramount importance. Also, I would have to find a reputable classic Mercedes garage in my area for repairs and maintenance. Perhaps both of these cars would be a landmine of expenses and it's best to find a car that's better maintained and perhaps already restored?

As far as the W114 is concerned, I do prefer the classic interior from 1971 but, perhaps, there is an advantage to the updated 1973?

Let's say, however, these two cars are conditionally equal. Which of these two exact cars would you rather have and why? I'm equally torn. They are both beautiful.

1) 1973 280CE W114 https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/280ce/2410796.html
2) 1981 280CE W123 https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/280ce/2483309.html#&gid=1&pid=5

Attachments

• 73244757.jpeg
    73244757.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 78992383.jpeg
    78992383.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The W123 is the better car of the two. Its 8 years younger. Parts for it are more accessible/available- particularly exterior and interior trim. Cars that are laid up for a period of years are not a good thing. These W114 also tend to rust behind all that sound insulation on the front bulkhead and floor = major body restoration work-- why not go for a W124 a much better bet--- buy one from one of the states with a predominantly dry climate --- avoid states with high humidity or precipitation of rain or snow----once rust takes hold of these old MERCS they become money pits and you want to spend your time driving the car not repairing it!

The W123 is the better car of the two. Its 8 years younger. Parts for it are more accessible/available- particularly exterior and interior trim. Cars that are laid up for a period of years are not a good thing. These W114 also tend to rust behind all that sound insulation on the front bulkhead and floor = major body restoration work-- why not go for a W124 a much better bet--- buy one from one of the states with a predominantly dry climate --- avoid states with high humidity or precipitation of rain or snow----once rust takes hold of these old MERCS they become money pits and you want to spend your time driving the car not repairing it!
Thanks for your thoughts. This seems to be the general gist I'm getting from collectors. Get the W123, they say. Why not the W124? Honestly, I just don't think they are good looking. They seem to be sliding into the era of what Mercedes has become, which I don't like at all.

Agree with grober, the car that replaces the old are generally better. Does the 114 have memories?
That's why I have a 1960 190B (W121) I had one in my early 20s 1961-68.
As for any old car look for rust and do the research.
Best of luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom