Mercedes W124 Engine UPGRADES ( turbo, manifold, etc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

///AMG55

Car
w124
Hello everybody,

I have a w124 230E and I am planning to upgrade its power although it is running perfectly as it should. Many of the members would swap engine or maybe buy a 300E instead. However, I like my 230E and I am looking forward to make some minor performance upgrades that may strengthen the engine.

I had a search on the Internet and found that turbo kits like the ones made by mosselman and Turbotechnic fit only on the 300E and E320 models. However I might be wrong.

Then I had a search on MBclub forum and found that there is a thread in which a 230E owner was trying to find some upgrades for his car. A member called Mazza suggested him that a tubular exhaust manifold would be a good trial.

On ebay, I found an exhaust manifold that was once on a W201 2.3 cosworth as shown below...
Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth reinforced tubular stainless exhaust manifold W201 | eBay

So I need your help guys to know whether it will fit in a M102 engine and whether it is worth to make this modification.

By the way, my car is a right hand drive. So I have doubts whether it is possible to fit a tubular manifold.

Thank you,

///AMG55

Changing the exhaust manifold will make a difference but not necessarily for the better. I wouldn't even start trying to modify that engine for more power - it's in a soft state of tune and is limited by the cam and injection setup. You could change the cam and tweak the injection but it'd be a lot of money for little return

The 300 or, even better, 300-24, is a different kettle of fish altogether

Nick Froome

That manifold won't fit your engine.

Sell your car and buy one with a more powerful engine :)

Does your 230E currently have a cat? I thought they weren't fitted until the facelift cars were produced in 1993? I certainly wouldn't retro fit a cat to car that currently doesn't have one.

Does your 230E currently have a cat? I thought they weren't fitted until the facelift cars were produced in 1993? I certainly wouldn't retro fit a cat to car that currently doesn't have one.

Hello,

The car does have two CAT I think. Some years ago I changed completely the
full exhaust to a OEM stainless one. ( from manifold to exhaust tips)

I have some photos of the muffler but not of the whole exhaust pipe. My car is far away from me right now so it will be impossible to take photos.... So if you guys could guess if the car has one or more CAT, it would be great!!!

2mwywdu.jpg

1ht8wx.jpg

nnw1v5.jpg

On Benzworld, I contacted a member who has a supersprint exhaust for the 230E model at superb price . I hope that he will be able to ship it.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...don't recall OEM exhausts being stainless?

Hello,

The car does have two CAT I think. Some years ago I changed completely the
full exhaust to a OEM stainless one.

Hi mazza here

you still running cats ?? dont you have pre cats also??

put a smile on your face and get ride of the cats

these are from the 1.8-2.0 8v engine

strangles the engine

(images courtesy of RICHY190E mercedes190 club)

imag0085j.jpg

imag0081yr.jpg

mazza

Hi

AMG/brabus/ a few others i cant remember right now offered tubular manifolds for the 2 & 2.3 8v engine. Unfortunately it was for the European market.

the tubular pipes had a smaller diameter compared to the 2.3 16v

they pop up every now and then In Germany etc...you cant use them if your car is RHD

mazza

Hello Mazza,

Thanks for the help!

So I can forget about looking for a tubular manifold.

If I get rid of the CAT, I think it is not legal.

What about fitting on magnaflow CAT? Do you know which one fits on the W124 230E?

So I can forget about looking for a tubular manifold.

If I get rid of the CAT, I think it is not legal.

a decent tubular manifold is going to cost a fair bit of money and its going to deliver only a few horses. you need to be in love with your engine to spend that kind of money...hehehe

ok! so deleting a couple of CATS may be illegal but a few members (with newer and much powerful machines (naughty) have done it and they seem very happy...so yes its ilegal...but I dont think you will go to prison..hehehe

keep the CAT shell and get rid of the material inside as per image

mazza

a decent tubular manifold is going to cost a fair bit of money and its going to deliver only a few horses. you need to be in love with your engine to spend that kind of money...hehehe

ok! so deleting a couple of CATS may be illegal but a few members (with newer and much powerful machines (naughty) have done it and they seem very happy...so yes its ilegal...but I dont think you will go to prison..hehehe

keep the CAT shell and get rid of the material inside as per image

mazza

Thanks Mazza for the tip! From what I understood, magnaflow CATs are not worth buying?

I've had a search again on the Internet and found that an aftermarket cold air intake may add some hp!
But some argues that the w124 already has a CAI. But what's your view about this matter?

Thanks Mazza for the tip! From what I understood, magnaflow CATs are not worth buying?

I've had a search again on the Internet and found that an aftermarket cold air intake may add some hp!
But some argues that the w124 already has a CAI. But what's your view about this matter?

Hi

I wouldn't bother fitting Magnaflow CAT'S mate

my view is....those folks are spot on mate

the CAI system on the 8v is a gooden. Bigger power units like the M104 3.4AMG (maybe others too) had pretty much the same air filter box but was fitted with twin air pick up hoses.

if you want to get creative, find yourself a place to position an air scope, a length of hose, make and weld a flange to the filter box and voila!! probably cheaper too (add a touch of genius and write your name on the filter box a la AMG)..hehehe

mazza

I dont get this thread at all.

Best advice is to sell and get a 300 or 320CE and you'll get a much better performing car for no more money than the modifications you propose will cost.

Start with the prerequisite basics:

Make sure your engine is up to spec before you spend any money on potential performance mods.
Do compression and leak down tests, smoke test to find and correct any vacuum leaks.
If within cylinder to cylinder spec then tune and set everything to factory spec.
Now you can begin with a baseline.

You'll still find that you now have a "to spec", tuned underpowered car.
Low on torque compared to the M103/M104 I6 engines.

Exhaust headers are a waste of money if the induction system and cylinder head ( port/polish/competition valve job ) is not modified.
You need to balance what goes in with what goes out !!!

The Magnaflow spun metal cats ( knockoff of Random Technology design ) will give you a slight power increase and are a cost effective choice if you need to replace your stock cat. The precats really are useless and if removed shouldn't change your emissions readings that much.

As mentioned it would be more cost effective to trade up to an E320 which would give you about 100HP additional.
To gain this much on your M102 would cost about 6K+ sterling.

There is an old "gear head" saying in the USA:

"Speed costs money...how fast do you want to go? "

A good rule of thumb for cost is 50 to 60 sterling per HP added.

Ed A.

Last edited:
Hi

I wouldn't bother fitting Magnaflow CAT'S mate

my view is....those folks are spot on mate

the CAI system on the 8v is a gooden. Bigger power units like the M104 3.4AMG (maybe others too) had pretty much the same air filter box but was fitted with twin air pick up hoses.

if you want to get creative, find yourself a place to position an air scope, a length of hose, make and weld a flange to the filter box and voila!! probably cheaper too (add a touch of genius and write your name on the filter box a la AMG)..hehehe

mazza

Thank you very much for the CAI tips. What is the CAI brand found on your car?

Some w124 owners tried to fit on a CAI by using an air scope from old volkswagen cars i think. If I want to go for the k&N route, which one will fit on an M102?

Thanks!:thumb:

Start with the prerequisite basics:

Make sure your engine is up to spec before you spend any money on potential performance mods.
Do compression and leak down tests, smoke test to find and correct any vacuum leaks.
If within cylinder to cylinder spec then tune and set everything to factory spec.
Now you can begin with a baseline.

You'll still find that you now have a "to spec", tuned underpowered car.
Low on torque compared to the M103/M104 I6 engines.

Exhaust headers are a waste of money if the induction system and cylinder head ( port/polish/competition valve job ) is not modified.
You need to balance what goes in with what goes out !!!

The Magnaflow spun metal cats ( knockoff of Random Technology design ) will give you a slight power increase and are a cost effective choice if you need to replace your stock cat. The precats really are useless and if removed shouldn't change your emissions readings that much.

As mentioned it would be more cost effective to trade up to an E320 which would give you about 100HP additional.
To gain this much on your M102 would cost about 6K+ sterling.

There is an old "gear head" saying in the USA:

"Speed costs money...how fast do you want to go? "

A good rule of thumb for cost is 50 to 60 sterling per HP added.

Ed A.

Hello,

I am not really looking for engine swapping. To be honest, I am satisfied of my car's M102 engine. It may take around 10 secs to reach 60 mph but I love it. I already spent much money to tune the engine near perfection. I am only looking for basic mods that may adds some horsepower.

Since you are confident that the Magnaflow spun metal cats may add some power, I am considering to buy them. But could you please guide me to buy the ones that will fit on the M102?

Thank you:thumb:

///AMG55, what sort of budget had you in mind to spend on the engine?

///AMG55, what sort of budget had you in mind to spend on the engine?

Honestly, I am ready to make any upgrades that may increase the car's horsepower apart from engine swap or selling the car.

cheers;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom