Mercedes w124 estate clonking from rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chester the dog

Car
mercedes e280 estate
Hi All

Im new to this site but use it regularly to carry out maintenance. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction with a new problem.

Last week i changed the rear spheres on my 280 estate car, its a 1995 and has done 215k so i think it deserved them, particularly as the rear was rock hard over bumps.

I changed them with all the normal problems of skinning my knuckles and on and off two days later i fired her up. A test drive proved it to be the right thing to do, as the car was super smooth and suspension worked well. I left the car for the last 5 days and went out in it today and the suspension is smooth but the passenger side sphere is clonking like mad.

Also i am not sure if it worked before but the self leveling suspension does not level, i put the wife and kids in the rear facing seats and it stayed where it was. May be the little silver valve attached to the rear anti roll bar? when i did the spheres and jacked the rear up it sounded like a spring was catching with a creaking noise all the time until it was fully up?

Does anyone have any idears, if so all info is greatfully received.

Many thanks

Andrew

The self levelling is operated by a valve which has an arm connected to the rear anti roll bar via an adjustable threaded link. As the roll bar rotates with car movement it operates the valve causing a self levelling effect. Sometimes the link can break thro corrosion or the plastic connecting rods at the end of the roll bar connected to the rear suspension arms can seize/snap either way the self levelling wont operate correctly. Sounds as if something broke/was displaced when you replaced the spheres?

Hi Graeme, thanks for taking the time to help. The linkage is all intact and conected, however its really stiff to move by hand and feels jamed but when i jack up the car or let it down it does make a noise and appears to move? Do these ever fail internally do you know or perhaps the pump in the power steering casing is defective?
I read another thread and they had air in the system, perhaps that could be the clunking noise? i plan to do some miles over the weekend so hopefully that will reveal more.
Thanks again
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom