Mercedes W124 M103 3.0 3.2 12v 190e W201 AMG Rocker cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What makes you think it's fake?

I didn't think they ever said AMG on them. Or if they did, it would be in the pre-merger style, which this isn't.

The badge also has the look of one of those eBay ones that were popular a few years ago.

I'm curious to know what other people think though, hence the post.

Fake, I doubt Mercedes would put plastic badge on engine cover.
It's someone who's trying to be creative ( and failed in my opinion )

He says it carries the part number HWA 103 010 01 30 so maybe it's kosher.

Can anyone confirm the part number?

Fake, I doubt Mercedes would put plastic badge on engine cover.
It's someone who's trying to be creative ( and failed in my opinion )

Well, not Mercedes but AMG though I was inclined to agree with you, hence my query on here.

It now says "this listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available". So, either it was genuine and someone on here went round and bought it or it wasn't and so he's pulled it :dk:

Seller is a forum member btw.

to be fair to the seller they never stated that it was a genuine amg item!

He did in various messages. And simply omitting to use the word "genuine" doesn't imply it isn't.

Last edited:
Seller is a forum member btw.

Well, his messages didn't indicate a particular fondness of forums or their members. Why, who is he?

Having just refurbished the one of my 124 300te - including sandblasting, priming and re-painting. I can say that this one looks no different to my one. With the exception that my one did not have an AMG badge stuck on the top.

I have no idea if it is real or fake though?

Last edited:
He did in various messages. And simply omitting to use the word "genuine" doesn't imply it isn't.
true but it would of given more of a reassurance to the item for buyers. (the term amg is used widely on ebay for everthing these days) the part numbers genuine and it does seem different to bruces, theres a recess for the badge. maybe it was real.

true but it would of given more of a reassurance to the item for buyers. (the term amg is used widely on ebay for everthing these days) the part numbers genuine and it does seem different to bruces, theres a recess for the badge. maybe it was real.

Is the part number genuine? Where did you find it as I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere?

Apologies I can't tell if it actually has a recess for the badge or not. These are made out of titanium, so fairly robust and lightweight. I would say if it has a recess then that would suggest genuine. A lot of trouble to go to grinding out the fins to create a recess.

Apologies I can't tell if it actually has a recess for the badge or not. These are made out of titanium, so fairly robust and lightweight. I would say if it has a recess then that would suggest genuine. A lot of trouble to go to grinding out the fins to create a recess.

I don't know if there's a recess either but it's not necessarily a lot of trouble. There was a person, a few years ago, making aftermarket rocker covers by grinding out the fins and engraving AMG in the top, before painting all except the letters in a crackled matt black finish. They looked really good and I bid on a couple but didn't get any - from memory, I think Jay did.

Bruce,

I don't think these are titanium - maybe an aluminium or magnesium alloy of some kind.

The value of that cover (if genuine of course) isn't in the fact that it's a work of art or difficult to replicate, more the fact of it being a genuine low-volume AMG part with proper HWA part number etc.

On a separate note - Bruce, can I ask a question?

I've just been thinking of your (most unusual) engine failure on your 300TE.

Did you have the rocker cover re-painted just before this?

If so, how did they remove the old paint. I'm wondering if it was sand blasted (or other abrasive eg aluminium oxide) and there may have not cleared out all the abrasive powder from the breathers/oil trap.

It would certainly tie in with some of the issues. Forgive me if I am wrong but thought it worth mentioning - you wouldn't want any further issues.

Will

Okay - having read back through I think this is worth checking. It looks as though this sand blasted cover was fitted shortly before your engine troubles?

I've seen this before where someone didn't remove the oil trap, and/or there were sand particles were trapped in there ans elsewhere in the cover and once fitted it wrecked the engine.

Just be sure - please.

Okay - having read back through I think this is worth checking. It looks as though this sand blasted cover was fitted shortly before your engine troubles?

I've seen this before where someone didn't remove the oil trap, and/or there were sand particles were trapped in there ans elsewhere in the cover and once fitted it wrecked the engine.

Just be sure - please.

Will

Thank you.

My bad. The cover is of course Magnesium.

The oil trap/baffles were removed prior to blasting ;^) that was done by me - 3 phillips screws.

When blasted the cover was dipped into a tank of pre-paint then blown out with a high pressure air line (again all by me).

A good spot there Will. The blaster guy actually asked up front if there were any baffles? He said he won't do them even if masked off, for exactly the reasons you give.

I will put an update on the other thread for people.

Thank you again though for thinking about me.

I really think this is what has happened Bruce. The oily cover attracts the abrasive and it's almost impossible to remove every trace of this once blasted.

Am I right that this engine wear happened shortly after fitting/using the sandblasted cover?

Would certainly explain the crank wear - sand gets suspended in the oil and drops to the bottom of the engine (sump) where the shells are. Doesn't get easily picked up by the oil pump pickup but wears the crank and bearings away quickly.

Almost certain of this now IMHO.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom