Mercedes W126 500se.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

parkman1

Car
Mercedes E220: W126 500se; W124 260E
Hi,
Hi, I would like to find out something about the W126 500se, and does represent a reliable option to the W126 300se ?

I have seen a really nice 500se for sale with just over 90,000 miles on the clock and 16 service stamps, nearly all MB main dealer.

I find that the 300se has been reliable with a pretty rock solid engine, and I don't fancy buying a problem in the 500 engine. Can anyone give me any advice on this model ?

How reliable is the 500 engine, and just out of interest what sort of MPG does this engine give ? I get about 25-30 MPG from the 300se if I don't keep doing Grand Prix starts, and the 3 litre engine is nice and smooth.

I am interested to hear how the 5 litre compares to the 3 litre, and what problems the 500 has, when it goes wrong :devil::devil:

Thanks in advance, parkman

I had a very very late registered (Aug '92 on a K plate) W126 500SEL that I ran as a daily driver for 3 years. I bought it on 105k miles & sold it on about 130k. Other than routine servicing and a set of tyres the only other expense was a new radiator. It was an absolute breeze to work on. Plenty of space in the engine bay and just a basic set of spanners and screwdrivers needed - clearly designed with maintenance in mind.

In terms of fuel economy I averaged just shy of 20. On a long journey I could nudge that towards 25 but that was about it. I actually rather miss it. At the time I sold it, it needed a centre section on the exhaust and new chrome on the front bumper - a known weak spot & unfortunately rather expensive to put right. I enjoyed that car & genuinely think it's the most elegant S class ever made.

My 500SEL was mechanically bomb proof over the five years I had it .

I serviced it myself and over 70 odd thousand miles had no major problems : replaced all discs and pads/shoes after purchase , both steering ball joints at different MOT's , one broken front spring . I put a stainless exhaust system on when the original needed replacement .

In the end rust was starting to take hold around all four wheel arches and under the rear window - it was going to cost too much to fix so I gave the car away , having not paid a lot for it to start with .

I got low/mid 20's in general driving , max around 25 on a run .

Having also had a 280SE , I'd say go for the SEL as there is so much room in the back , especially with reclining rear seat like mine had .

I'd have another in a minute , particularly if a 560 turned up .

Just as a footnote if you opt for an SEL....I'm 6"6" & with the drivers seat set for me, someone my height could still easily sit behind me & stretch out. It really was that big in there. Thinking back I also loved the sprung seats - like sitting on your favourite comfy sofa!

The W126 was designed for a V8, the only engine for a W126 is 500 or 560.

Cannot beat it..

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

I appreciate the opinions, and I will have to make a decision fairly soon.

I have just returned home after a fairly long tour from Liverpool to Eastbourne, running up and down from Eastbourne to Haywards Heath for a couple of days, and returning to Liverpool.

I have done around 1000 km's in 4 days in my 300se and it ran like clockwork. I am reluctant to sell the car while it has proved itself to be comfortable, with the velour especially in the recent hot weather, and reliable.

I suppose that I will go and see the car and then make a decision.

parkman

A last update to this - I bought a 1983 500SE with under 70K miles on the clock.I have been very pleased with the car, so far.

I had to buy a different set of 16 inch rims, to give me much more flexibility with tyres, but the rims are Penta, which were an option for the 500.

So happy days, so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

parkman

Good to hear, the V8 M117 engine is a peach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom