Mercedes W126 Rear suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alibabalondon

Car
500 SE 1989
Hi Gents , im new here so not too sure where to post etc.
I need help ..in a bit of dilemma.

I have a Mercedes W126 500 SE , i have bought new rear springs and top pads .from MB

i have now put these on the car , yet the car is lower in the passenger side and looks correct on the drivers side rear ..

Any ideas???????PLEASE

It could be the front suspension throwing things out?

I spent ages chasing a w124 what wouldn’t sit level and it turned out to be different anti roll bar mounts, easy fix once all the other parts had been swapped.

If the car was level before you swapped the springs over on the back it can not be too many things, either springs / pads are not the same, or they haven’t been fitted correctly

Did you check the colour code on the new springs and pads when you got them? Did you visually check for differences in spring winding cross section . Did you screw the spring pad fully onto the flatted top of the spring. A quick static test would have been to screw the pads onto both springs and place them side by side on a flat surface pads at the bottom and compare heights? What were the part nos on the MB INVOICE? MERCEDES used to suppy the same rated spring in blue = long and red = short versions back in the day maybe you got one of each?

Did you check the colour code on the new springs and pads when you got them? Did you visually check for differences in spring winding cross section . Did you screw the spring pad fully onto the flatted top of the spring. A quick static test would have been to screw the pads onto both springs and place them side by side on a flat surface pads at the bottom and compare heights? What were the part nos on the MB INVOICE? MERCEDES used to suppy the same rated spring in blue = long and red = short versions back in the day maybe you got one of each?

Hi Graham ,
to be honest i checked the color code and was identical on both springs and measured them side by side prior, i have spoken with another independent who has suggested to just put an extra pad in the lower side ..
can be done although will this affect the handling i wonder ???

I'm pretty sure that the springs need to be seated into the pad in a certain way so that everything fit. If they're seated incorrectly then they will sit wrong. Also if you're replacing only one side. It's going to be lop sided. The springs sag over the years and the pads collapse under the weight of the car. New pads will always raise the height when installed.

I'm pretty sure that the springs need to be seated into the pad in a certain way so that everything fit. If they're seated incorrectly then they will sit wrong. Also if you're replacing only one side. It's going to be lop sided. The springs sag over the years and the pads collapse under the weight of the car. New pads will always raise the height when installed.
The springs literally screw into the pad which has inner "threads" in the rubber pad/ cup --the springs have a open tail on one end which fits in a recess on the suspension arm and the other end tail is 1/2 ground flat to thread into the pad/cup at least that's the arrangemnent on tthe 190/124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom