Mercedes W140 starter motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danyalmiah

Car
Mercedes Benz W140 S Class S280 1998
Hi there I’m wondering which starter motor is the correct one for Mercedes W140 S280, it is specific to each engine model ?
I’ve seen various starter motor going from £50-£180, so I’m not sure
Please can someone let me know or provide a link to the correct starter motor of this model
Thanks

Hi. Is the old one completely dead? As you are in Coventry, there is a very good place in Spon End that refurbish alternators and starter motors at a reasonable cost. I have used them myself.

If you want the part number, post your VIN up and I'll have a look

Hi. Is the old one completely dead? As you are in Coventry, there is a very good place in Spon End that refurbish alternators and starter motors at a reasonable cost. I have used them myself.

If you want the part number, post your VIN up and I'll have a look
Yh I’ve changed it with a brand new bosch starter motor and still not working, went over starter relay and all other fuses still nothing. There’s current reaching the motor but it’s still not powering up when trying to turn the car on , this is a very odd situation and I don’t know what to do ???

Did you take the old one to the place I suggested? They would have tested it free of charge for you.

Does it turn over or is it dead completely?

Good point. Is the car showing as being in P or N?

Good point. Is the car showing as being in P or N?
Yes it’s in park, i don’t know any other way to check, I mean I if I turn the lights on for interior the p illuminates more than rest of letters and numbers on shifter so guessing it’s in p

Try starting in N rather than P. My 124 sometimes doesn't start in P but fine in N. It's either a faulty start inhibit switch or out of adjustment linkage. As it a PITA to reach I haven't bothered investigating further.

The neutral safety switch is mounted on the side of the transmission bell housing. It's a cut off switch that prevents the starter from engaging if the car is not in park or neutral. First test is to obviously move the car into neutral and trying to start it. Switch itself may not be bad, but the shifter link bushing could be sloppy and might not move the shifter position into park for the switch to detect.

If you're not getting any activity from the starter, try moving the shifter to neutral and try again. Second test is to use a remote starter that you can wire to the starter directly. A good mechanic should be able to check all of this and if you took it to a mechanic that didn't, you need another mechanic.

The neutral safety switch is mounted on the side of the transmission bell housing. It's a cut off switch that prevents the starter from engaging if the car is not in park or neutral. First test is to obviously move the car into neutral and trying to start it. Switch itself may not be bad, but the shifter link bushing could be sloppy and might not move the shifter position into park for the switch to detect.

If you're not getting any activity from the starter, try moving the shifter to neutral and try again. Second test is to use a remote starter that you can wire to the starter directly. A good mechanic should be able to check all of this and if you took it to a mechanic that didn't, you need another mechanic.
Can you shift it from P to N without the mercedes w140 being on?

Yes, turn the ignition on, put your foot on the brake and shift it out of park to neutral
If it was neutral safety switch how would I access it and how would I replace it.
Also where would I get the part from?(UK)

If it was neutral safety switch how would I access it and how would I replace it.
Also where would I get the part from?(UK)
Have you tried what I've already suggested? If not, my suggestion is to take it to a mechanic who can take care of this for you. I'm not familiar with parts suppliers in the UK.

Have you tried what I've already suggested? If not, my suggestion is to take it to a mechanic who can take care of this for you. I'm not familiar with parts suppliers in the UK.
Oh alright il try it and get back

Hi there I’m wondering which starter motor is the correct one for Mercedes W140 S280, it is specific to each engine model ?
I’ve seen various starter motor going from £50-£180, so I’m not sure
Please can someone let me know or provide a link to the correct starter motor of this model
Thanks
Hi so I have replaced the starter motor, all fueses work and there is current reaching the starter motor, the key unlocks the car like normal, I had to start the car with a screwdriver and starter motor and it started perfectly, as I had to move the car, so the car did start up like normal through me starting car with screwdriver and starter motor. I’ve checked starter relay aswell so that’s not the issue and the car started perfectly
So what could the problem be for the car not to crank or even start through the key????

I would say the solenoid but I'm guessing the new starter had a new solenoid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom