Mercedes W163 ML270cdi rear wheel outside tyre wear any ideas???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KNU7S

Car
1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander
I have had my ML for 18 months and in all that time rear nearside tyre has been wearing unevenly on the edge. I need to replace the tyre but obviously want to sort the issue out before i fit a new tyre!.

It has passed the MOT without any issues, i am thinking that a bush has worn but am seeking some advice please.

many thanks

A ball joint, track rod end, inner rack joint or st rack could be worn.

It may also need a wheel alignment.

You will enjoy doing those joints. They are not much fun.

Don't buy cheap ball joints. They won't last 5 mins and are sometimes so stiff that it tightens the steering feel.

You will enjoy doing those joints. They are not much fun.

Don't buy cheap ball joints. They won't last 5 mins and are sometimes so stiff that it tightens the steering feel.

I have heard they are difficult! any ideas where the best place to get them are, these people in the US were recommended to me.

My local independent told me how hard they were! but i am planning to do both front ones as they both want doing and replacing the pads and discs at the same time.

I have ordered some new tyres today 255 60 17 were £83 each from germany allot cheaper than i could get over here.

many thanks

Tim

Both the camber and toe angles are adjustable on your car, so it's probable one of them is wrong.
Thanks for that info, is that something that can be done if i have 4 wheel alinement done?

KNU7S said:
I have heard they are difficult! any ideas where the best place to get them are, these people in the US were recommended to me.

My local independent told me how hard they were! but i am planning to do both front ones as they both want doing and replacing the pads and discs at the same time.

I have ordered some new tyres today 255 60 17 were £83 each from germany allot cheaper than i could get over here.

many thanks

Tim

Get them from MB or Euro Car Parts.

Get them from MB or Euro Car Parts.

I ordered the ones from the US they were £55 delivered for 2 so i will see how they last! my father is a retired truck mechanic he is fitting them.

is there any special tools we may need?

Where abouts you getting tyres from in germany ? im going need some soon

KNU7S said:
I ordered the ones from the US they were £55 delivered for 2 so i will see how they last! my father is a retired truck mechanic he is fitting them.

is there any special tools we may need?

Just elbow grease!!

Thanks all for all the information, I now have new tyres and i treated myself to some new wheels Set of 4 Mercedes Alloy Wheels - No Tyres - Excellent Condition | eBay in the end which are being fitted later today.

I have new brakes to fit all mintex and the ball joints.

I know from what I have seen that the original ball joints are pressed in however the replacements have a threaded ring, I have purchased a installation socket for the ring however what is the torque setting or are they only used to pull the repacement ball joint in?

Many thanks

The torque setting is very high iirc. Using the threaded ring to pull the joint in is hard work and the slotted socket is not great at the job. I never use that socket as it tends to ruin the ring.

My best advice is to press it in then put the ring on afterwards.

Remind me tomo and I will look up the torque for you.

Reading on other posts they mention a glue or sealant on the thread, do you know what that is?

many thanks

Its just loctite.

its 300NM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom