Mercedes W203 coupe driver seat issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amazighman

Car
CLK 430
Hi guys.
I have an issue with the W203 coupe drivers seat, Its has a noticeable sideway play in the right runner, the left one is fine
Its annoying if you steer sharply or break as my whole body is moving.

Can anyone help ?
Thanks

Is it the guide runner on the seat or the channel on the floor that is moving? Is the seat adjustment lock engaging?

Its the guide seat runner thats got the play....
I had a look with a mirror and I could see a pin moving when you lift the lever to slide the seat forward and backwards on the left runner only , The right runner doesn't seem to have it, Wonder if the lock pins are only on one side.
Is it the guide runner on the seat or the channel on the floor that is moving? Is the seat adjustment lock engaging?

Thats what I suspected.

Now is it easy to change the seat carrier ? I can find good used seats cheap from which I can remove the runner mechanism.

Unless the missing pins can be replaced I dont know
The lock pins are usually both sides. This could potentially be an MOT failure issue.

Probably easier to source a s/hand seat and swap the complete mechanism over, though to be honest never done one on an MB so perhaps others with more knowledge will chip in.

anyone has done the job of swapping the seat mechanism before ?

The seat bolts to the floor of the car as a unit (safety) getting individual parts for the seat mountings might be problematic. Used part suppliers might be the way to go. Or simply unbolt the seat yourself and have a poke around , see what you can find. Separating the seat from its 'H' rail is not something that is normally possible. You need to dig deeper.

I can tell you now the process of fitting the 'H' rail - this is the bit that bolts to the floor of the car - to the rest of the seat that also contains the front to rear 'slide' part of the seat is what is known as an 'A' grade process. That means in seat manufacture it is a 'life or death' process along with the seat belt anchor fitting , the seat airbag install and some other processes.
Even if you could find the parts you would not be able to source or fit the rivets that hold the two together.

Take the seat out and you might find a simple catch or spring has broken. let us know how you get on. :thumb:

Thanks Pete

Is it worth changing the whole seat mechanism instead of looking at the individual parts.?

I have seen a complete seat on Ebay , and thought I d remove my seat from the mechanism and transplant it onto the salvaged frame.

Nevertheless I will remove it in the week... Hopefully something fell off and can be easily refitted
I can tell you now the process of fitting the 'H' rail - this is the bit that bolts to the floor of the car - to the rest of the seat that also contains the front to rear 'slide' part of the seat is what is known as an 'A' grade process. That means in seat manufacture it is a 'life or death' process along with the seat belt anchor fitting , the seat airbag install and some other processes.
Even if you could find the parts you would not be able to source or fit the rivets that hold the two together.

Take the seat out and you might find a simple catch or spring has broken. let us know how you get on. :thumb:

Managed to fix it....I went to the scrappy bought the right side runner with locking mechanism , I was surprised that it's removable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom