Mercedes W203, Love the classic shiny silver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GT160

Car
Mercedes C Class (W203)
Hi

Thanks for everyones help so far. As a new member i thought i would post some pictures of the car. Not bad for 2004 Mercedes C Class :). Has a few bits here and there that could do with touching but this was at her best last year after a clay, 2 stage polish and wax :). Once the weather settles will definitely be redoing again this year. Also recoloured the leather steering wheel as was worn

I think i have done the link correct, but its my first time so if not be gentle

Great looking car

Probably Iridium silver (like mine) keep an eye on all of the wheel arches and rear subframe for rust. :thumb:
There is a little bit of surface rust appearing on both arches no rust anywhere else, I'm scratching my head on the best way to deal with it?

Looks In great condition, what polish and wax did you use?
I used the Poorboy's SSR1 first, followed by the AM details polish and finally the AM details sealant has kept its shine and polish for a year well with just regular washing but would like to do again when I get the time and the weather is on my side

Really does look good, I must get around to doing mines and hopefully the weather will improve soon. Thanks for the info on polish and sealant.

Next time you are out and about take a look at any W/S203 and half of them will look like this , or at least be on the way to looking like this. They are notorious for it and it must be dealt with quickly . It must be rife through the life of this model because replacement panels are available (not MB) to be welded in after cutting the rust away . Front arches are not much better.

Another spot where rust just gets on with it while hidden ...'rust never sleeps...' is behind the number plate surround inside the boot lid around the number plate lights (pi$$ poor design) . water and road salt get in behind the panel and it gets held by the foam gaskets and rot's away , the first you know is when bubbles pop up beneath the paint on the corner of the painted plastic surround , by which time it is way too late.

Remove the liner from inside the boot and get in there with a torch , if you see even the slightest hint of rust remove the number plate and the one bolt on the inside of the boot to remove the panel for a better look.

The steel brake hoses rust as well , remove the cover panel from beneath the car and check them over their entire length (this is not done during an MOT as they are behind a fixed cover)

Rust S203 2006.jpg

PS : Have you had the sunroof safety recall done yet ?

PPS: You might hear that 'all of these cars were galvanised' ...my answer to that is "Really ? , then please explain this rust...

Next time you are out and about take a look at any W/S203 and half of them will look like this , or at least be on the way to looking like this. They are notorious for it and it must be dealt with quickly . It must be rife through the life of this model because replacement panels are available (not MB) to be welded in after cutting the rust away . Front arches are not much better.

Another spot where rust just gets on with it while hidden ...'rust never sleeps...' is behind the number plate surround inside the boot lid around the number plate lights (pi$$ poor design) . water and road salt get in behind the panel and it gets held by the foam gaskets and rot's away , the first you know is when bubbles pop up beneath the paint on the corner of the painted plastic surround , by which time it is way too late.

Remove the liner from inside the boot and get in there with a torch , if you see even the slightest hint of rust remove the number plate and the one bolt on the inside of the boot to remove the panel for a better look.

The steel brake hoses rust as well , remove the cover panel from beneath the car and check them over their entire length (this is not done during an MOT as they are behind a fixed cover)

View attachment 115423

PS : Have you had the sunroof safety recall done yet ?

PPS: You might hear that 'all of these cars were galvanised' ...my answer to that is "Really ? , then please explain this rust...
Thanks for the detailed information. Our car has thankfully had a reasonably sheltered life up until about few years ago it was always garaged and washed and waxed regularly.

The only spots of rust are on both rear arches so considering the age of the vehicle it has done exceptionally well really but I guess we have been lucky because of the sheltered life and regularly maintainence. Much better than the 2004 sprinter van I briefly had it was a lively practical van solid engine had 190,000 but it was just rusted and holed on every panel !!

Thankfully no sunroof to worry about

I'll post some pics of the rear arches probably should get them done sooner or later as the bonnets got some cat scratching so probably should do that at the same time

And so it begins....get it done soon if you want to keep the car , use someone who knows what he is doing and that will be the end of it . There is quite a bit of metal in this area so if caught early all is good :thumb:

Thanks, definitely keeping the car we just like the classic look of it :) . Once I get the electric drain sorted next week a good clean and polish so I can asses what needs to be done and then go from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom