mercedes w204 c220 cdi sump plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stardelta

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi brabus estate
Hi...quick question, does my 2008 c220 cdi om646 engine have a sump plug if it does what size?

Mine has one, don't know the size as I suck the oil out.

Russ

Cheers for that info, will remove cover under car and take pot luck that I have the right tool tomorrow

Removed front under tray cover and realised to get to the sump you need to remove both covers, what a pain!!!

Removed drain plug and for future info for anyone it is a 13mm standard socket.
Drained oil, changed filter and refilled with fresh mercedes 5w 30 fully synthetic oil (54.00 for 20 litres from ebay).

To be honest would probably invest in a oil extractor that goes down the dip stick tube, does anyone have any experience of using one and if so any recommendations?

I use a Pela oil extractor, very good quality. Make sure you buy one with enough capacity to take all the oil out in one go or you'll have to stop half way to empty the extractor which can get messy.

Also, warm the engine first or you'll be there all day trying to suck cold oil out.

Russ

When I discovered my W204 needed the under trays removing to change the oil I broke a habit of 40 years and tried vacuum extraction. Mine is a Sealey and It works well. I'll never go back to crawling under the car.

What about the oil filter? I notice it's a cartridge. Has anyone changed theirs?
Easy to do?

If it is the one at the top of the engine then it is dead easy, get yourself a filter socket (mine is a 76mm 14 sides one for a om646 engine) purchased from ebay, unscrew filter top and carefully remove cap and filter, remove old filter from cap, change three o rings making sure you coat them with fresh oil, slide on new filter, clean out old oil in housing and reassemble filter to car.

I think the filter is an excellent mess free design. It couldn't be easier to change, I used my standard socket set. Unscrew the filter and leave it loose for a while in situ to allow the oil to drain into the sump then remove it and fit the new filter and O rings.

As said above, I could do it with my eyes shut. It's that simple.

Russ

Going to do mine at weekend. Anyone recommend a filter make or should I order MB?

MB don't make filters so it's possibly one of these, any of which I'll happily use for my C180K.

E38H D106 HENGST
WL7322 WIX
1 457 429 261 Mann
OX183/1D MAHLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom