Mercedes W210 E230 Rust On Doors Under The Rubbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mk.willis

CAN I DO ANY THING REGARDING MY CAR IT IS A 1997 PETROL E230 JANUARY CAR WITH A RUST PROBLEM UNDER THE RUBBERS ON THE DOORS AT THE TOP OF THE DOORS. RE: CORROSION / RUST WARRANTY MY DEALER HAS SAID NO--- DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY DIFFERENT PLEASE EMAIL ME ON [email protected]

Last edited:
There are loads of posts here about similar problems - have a good read first before going to a dealer - there may be certain conditions that you need to satisfy before making a claim .

The way things are going , they will probably cure it by taking the doors off .

A January 97 car will be pre-Mobilo, so you'd be looking for some sort of goodwill gesture rather than having any actual rights. A full and uninterrupted M-B service history would be very helpful.

My car is pre-Mobilo, and I can tell you that dealer did nothing, phoned MB-UK and they paid half the repair cost (only bad thing for me was the body-shop did a bad job and it is back).

W210 Mb E230

HOW DID YOU GET MB TO GOOD WILL GESTURE PAY HALF PLEASE ?:bannana:

mk.willis said:
Tact and diplomacy usually beats shouting :) (or typing in capitals) :eek: ;)

Good luck,
John

I ALWAYS GET TOLD THAT I JUST LIKE TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS APOLOGIES BUT I am not shouting at you as you can see
thanks

There is certain things you do and don't do in all things and when you are working with computers and sending messages capital letters means you are shouting.

You should listen to what people are saying to you and get used to not using capital letters because on some forums some members won't even bother to reply to you :confused:

mk.willis said:

There is a catch because MOBILO Warranty claims are authorised by DC UK are done by the body shops at a considerably reduced rate. Members of the public have to pay body shop market prices with no discount and DC UK/body shop capitalise on this...! So effectively, in a way you are still paying for the rust with DC UK making a very small contribution. DC UK will not pass over the discount/special rates that body shop have in place with them.

Flash said:
There is a catch because MOBILO Warranty claims are authorised by DC UK are done by the body shops at a considerably reduced rate. Members of the public have to pay body shop market prices with no discount and DC UK/body shop capitalise on this...! So effectively, in a way you are still paying for the rust with DC UK making a very small contribution. DC UK will not pass over the discount/special rates that body shop have in place with them.

But on a pre-MOBILO car that's nearly 10 years old, to get any contribution from DC is a result.

10 mins sob story, 10 mins on hold, passed on to customer care, 10 min sob story, MB then said “I am going to see what can be done; I shall ring you back in 1 hour”

Just under an hour latter “MB UK will contribute 50% of the cost of works, as a token of goodwill”

You know the crack how poor you are etc and how much you love the car.

BTW the bodyshop had nothing to do with MB and they just setttled half the bill.

Ashley said:
BTW the bodyshop had nothing to do with MB and they just setttled half the bill.

They probably calculated the bill by body shop market price, divided it by 2 BUT DC UK then received a further discount on their half of the bill as they get charged a special discounted rate - your body shop would have had to been a authorised MB repairer. IF you tell me what work was carried out an dwhat contribution you made then I will be able to work out if you were charged trade price or market price!

BTB 500 said:
But on a pre-MOBILO car that's nearly 10 years old, to get any contribution from DC is a result.

Not really because you still have to go through a authorised MB body shop who would charge the market rate which DC UK would then receive their discount on for their half of the bill. However, there are some very good non approved MB body shops (if not than better) that are capable of carrying out first class paint jobs at considerably lower rates than MB authorised body shop. Therefore, money can be saved going else where on pre MOBILO cars. Also, the market value of the vehicle on a pre 10 year old car (which is not going to be much) has to be taken as a main factor into the equation here!

There are also some very good "back street" body shops that carry out good work very cheaply because they are normally non VAT registered and take cash. I know one and have not used it but have seen several MBs/Audis/BMWs that are pre 6 years old parked outside or being worked on.

When I had mine done the contrbution which was requested was higher then the quotes from other bodyshops and the job done was bad.

In future I will take it to a local bodyshop and pay them direct as I think I will get a better job and have full control over what they are doing.

My understanding of how the contributions work is that Merc pay the bodyshop and you pay Merc.

PeterE320Cdi said:

My understanding of how the contributions work is that Merc pay the bodyshop and you pay Merc.

AND thats when DC UK make their "mark up" and cover their contribution cost. Its a bit like going to a Stealer to have your alloy wheel refurbished. Stealer will get the job done by sub contracting out and charge you the Stealer price BUT get the job done for almost half the price by the sub contractor. Greenoaks charge £75 for an alloy wheel to be re-painted (not fully refurbished) and the sub-contracted body shop charges them £40!!!

Flash said:
They probably calculated the bill by body shop market price, divided it by 2 BUT DC UK then received a further discount on their half of the bill as they get charged a special discounted rate - your body shop would have had to been a authorised MB repairer. IF you tell me what work was carried out an dwhat contribution you made then I will be able to work out if you were charged trade price or market price!
No I got a chq for half the cost after submitting invoices took around 5 weeks.

I have a 1997 W210 and tried this time last year for some financial assistance from MB, I was told that because the car was over 8 years old, there would be no MB involvement. At the time, the car was 8 years and one month old. There's MB service for you. I took the car to a local small dent type repair place and they took out all the rust in the doors and tailgate for £500. That was, as I said, about a year ago, still no sign of returning rust. If you go the MB route, it may cost you 50% of 4 doors and re-spray, possible front wings and boot lid, a lot of money. IMO, a nine year old car, I would look at the repairs myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom