Mercedes w210 electric fan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scooter1

Hi,

I have a 1998 w210 and the fan is not kicking in, the fan motor is working as I ran power to it and it works. I have bought a radiator fan switch but I have no idea where it is located!! The only sensor I can see is the temp gauge sensor at the front of the cam cover.

Can somebody please help!

thanks........

Hi,
Are you talking about the twin cooling fans in front of the radiator?
What engine has your 210? as far as i,m aware the engine cooling is done primarily by the engine driven fan, the twin electric cooling fans come on and of with the A/C refrigerant pressure/temperature.

No the car has no viscous coupling fan just a electric fan. the fan is on the engine side of the radiator.

I agree with Andy.
The main engine cooling is done with the single fan between the rad and the front of the engine.
This is mounted on a viscous coupling.
There are some forum members who say that these cars are over-cooled and that you can remove the main cooling fan.
(I've never been so brave).
Perhaps your car has had the main fan removed.
The twin electric fans would only usually operate when the air con is on.

The car is clearly different from mine.
Is the car over-heating ?
It may be that the car is adequately cooled and that the fan never needs to kick in.
Try tracing the wiring to the fan motor.

Mine is an E300TD.

it's only a single electric fan, the temp gauge goes up to 110c and the fan still does not kick in.

I am sure they just come on with the AC. Your viscous fan is probably duff

I cant remember the exact year but Mercedes did away the viscous fan and introduce a single electric fan for cooling. My brother had a 98 C240 with twin electric fans and a viscous and his friend had a 99 C240 with a single electric fan so im assuming this transition happened at some point between those years. My assumption is one of the sensors needs replacing but not sure which one??? Have you tried taking it to an auto electrician?

Hi,

I got this part from ECP Euro Car Parts

It's for a e200 1998 model but I still have no idea where it goes...

There is a temp switch for the interior gauge on the top of the rocker cover with the same plug on the top but when I tried it it did'nt read properly on the gauge.

Anybody got any ideas??

I had a 1997 E300 diesel estate W210 and that certainly had a viscous fan with two "electric" fans on the front for the air con. As others have said, they were over cooled, and in fact I ran the car for a good 6 or 7 miles with no impellor on the water pump, it had broken and I drove the car to the indi for repairs. The temperature gauge just about reached the red but did not boil and no harm done.

Scooter... what engine you have on yours? What VIN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom