Mercedes w211 heavy steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Compo

Car
Mercedes e280 cdi
Hi there, I have a 2005 E280 cdi. Firstly the abs light and esp warning visit workshop came on and then the steering became heavy, almost like it has no power steering. After lots of research into common problems I keep reading about the steering angle sensor being faulty and causing the exact same symptoms, has anybody had this problem, I don't have a code reader but I thought that I would pick your collective brains before I start throwing parts at it.

Doesn't affect the drive in any way, it drives beautifully. Another problem is with the headlight on the passenger side, I changed the bulb but still no joy so would a new ignitor solve the problem? TIA.

Welcome to the Forum!

Ideally l all of your issues need to have the car connected to a decent code reader. Icarsoft, Autel etc or, preferably MB Star.

The ABS /ESP issue might be an ABS sensor which can be checked with a Voltmeter or
Oscilloscope by a competent garage.

There is no point guessing

Hi and welcome,

as said above no sense in guessing and spending unnecessary money. Find a good Mercedes independent and let them look after your car.
Have you checked the battery voltage as Mercedes do like a good charged battery. A low battery can give spurious faults.

Hi and welcome,

as said above no sense in guessing and spending unnecessary money. Find a good Mercedes independent and let them look after your car.
Have you checked the battery voltage as Mercedes do like a good charged battery. A low battery can give spurious faults.

As above , a poor battery can give steering angle faults . We see it alot when people return from 14 days holiday if the battery is weak. After charging the battery , run the engine and slowly turn steering lock to lock a few times . Plus the w211 is very greedy when it comes to battery amps . Short trips kill them . A smart charger is a good purchase for any w211 owner.

Heavy power steering at + 10 mph can point to a front abs sensor .

Last edited:
Hi there, I have a 2005 E280 cdi. Firstly the abs light and esp warning visit workshop came on and then the steering became heavy, almost like it has no power steering. After lots of research into common problems I keep reading about the steering angle sensor being faulty and causing the exact same symptoms, has anybody had this problem, I don't have a code reader but I thought that I would pick your collective brains before I start throwing parts at it.

Doesn't affect the drive in any way, it drives beautifully. Another problem is with the headlight on the passenger side, I changed the bulb but still no joy so would a new ignitor solve the problem? TIA.
Sometimes this is just a low battery.

Thanks for the replies. It's funny the battery was mentioned. The car was stood for 3 months before I got it. Intermittently a message comes up about the battery and then goes off next time it's started. Might be a idea to invest in a new battery and then try to reset the steering angle sensor buy giving it a few full locks, it's a lovely car even though its done 229,000 miles it drives like new.

Thanks for the replies. It's funny the battery was mentioned. The car was stood for 3 months before I got it. Intermittently a message comes up about the battery and then goes off next time it's started. Might be a idea to invest in a new battery and then try to reset the steering angle sensor buy giving it a few full locks, it's a lovely car even though its done 229,000 miles it drives like new.

Charge it up first and try.

Good god 🙄

Does anyone know
When it happened to me , it was the sealing ring on the rear hub bearing, always buy from mercedes, as the seal is also the abs pick up ring . The distance from ring to sensor is also a factor .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom