mercedes w222 oil level to high

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CORNELIUS1987

Car
mercedes w222
hello i have recently purchased a mercedes w222 from 2014 3.0 diesel and first thing i've done was the service....
now when the mechanic took the old oil out it took 12 litres and only 8.5 litres to top up....
he's telling me that there are 2 options:
1 when they done the service they have put too much oil or
2 my dpf is clogged and i get diesel mixed with oil...
no errors on the dash or on diagnostic tool in regards with the dpf....
i driven the car for around 200 miles and checked the dipstick the level was the same...
should i be worried?
thank you

Hello Cornelius and welcome .

No way should your car have 12 litres of oil in the engine sump. Something is very wrong if you are 100% sure that 12 litres of fluid were extracted during the service.

If diesel is leaking from an injector (or 3) it can go past the piston rings and join the oil in the sump , which in turn will reduce the ability of the oil to lubricate the engine.

Should you be worried ? Yes.

Stay on here for more advice.

That doesn't sound right to me either if it was that much over id of thought it would of blown a seal some where?

When diesel fuel leaks into the engine oil and the level of the engine oil goes up... the only way to stop the engine from committing a very dramatic suicide, is by blocking the air intake with a rug or large piece of cloth.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

An engine runner way isnt caused by to much oil in the sump !

An engine runner way isnt caused by to much oil in the sump !

This is from tbe article I linked above:

'Now what causes a runaway diesel condition? Well its many factors. Pumps that stick and meter too much fuel, oil seal failure in a turbocharged engine, overfilling the crankcase, broken/damaged internal fuel pipes, incorrectly assembled or faulty fuel linkages, and even dual fuel engines that use bottled gas (like propane), or are in an environment saturated with airborne vapors. But most usually age and wear or vapors are the common cause.'

Most Diesel runaways aren't caused by overfilling... but overfilling can cause a runaway.

I've never seen that usally its the oil seal on the turbo and the engine then runs off the oil in the sump Renault 1.9td engine is renowned for it 😳 ive also had an R33 blow itself up at a set of lights there was no way of stopping that until it went bang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom