Mercedes w222 steering wheel vibrations cured

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
Well, this may be a help to other owners
I have a 2014 s350d w222 chassis. I was experiencing a bad vibration at steering wheel at speed and when braking. Followed procedure, seemed two of the suspension arm bushing a bit weak so replaced all arm at front.Also to eliminate I did replace front discs and pads, all genuine parts. Unfortunately it did not cured the problem. Car felt solid on speeds but when braking steering wheel was shaking badly. Did some investigation on US forums and found loads of posts rgds to engine mounts. Tackled the job and once removed both of the mounts were shot badly. Replaced these along with trans mount and problem is cured. What we concluded is mounts sunk, engine was laying on subframe with no cushion, when braking all its weight pressed onto subframe, (steering rack is attached just under the mounts) - result bad vibration throughout the car, steering.
Check your engine mounts before blaming wheels, brakes or suspension parts. It’s a nice Start/Stop system side effect I would call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info, thanks for posting.

What mileage had your car done when the symptoms started?

Can’t believe the W222 has been out almost 6 years now. Great looking car, would be very tempted to pick a used one up for the next vehicle if I didn’t need an estate car. I saw a W222 and new A8 side by side on the road recently and the A8 just looked so plain and cheap by comparison.

Mine has 80k on the clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom