Mercedes winter wheel/tyre offer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geoffd

Car
2006 SL 350
Anyone asked for a quote about the above ?

Allegedly, according to a report on AutoTrader website, Merc were 'promoting the use of winter tyres' - presumably in response to the bad reports about RWD and Merc in particular performance in the recent snow.

Also, allegedly, wheel/tyre combinations are available for the whole range, with prices quoted as about £100 a wheel for A class and £120 for C class (for steel wheels of course).

So, like a fool I asked...

1 No steels available for SLs - but for 4 new (Avior 17 ") alloys and tyres :
2 Conti WinterSports plus alloys - well over 2k !!!
3 Dunlop SP WinterSport plus alloys - £1300
4 Pirelli SnowSport plus alloys - £2030

And this is a promotion to encourage us to adopt winter tyres. Yeah, right.

OK so maybe the SL isn't mainstream, or even mainstream Merc, but there are quite a lot of them about - and they are part of the current range. And lots of other upmarket Mercs use similar sized wheels and tyres.

Then asked about C class for comparison - and lo and behold the cost is £200 a corner. Which I guess isn't bad for a steel wheel and a decent winter tyre. It's still not what AutoTrader reported though.

Comments ?

Geoff

Then asked about C class for comparison - and lo and behold the cost is £200 a corner. Which I guess isn't bad for a steel wheel and a decent winter tyre.
Thanks for the heads-up. I checked a couple of weeks back and the MyTyres steel wheel + tyre offer, based on Nokian's came to about £140 per corner for my W204.

I can't help buy feel that MB have missed the window of opportunity.

Now they should be thinking of promoting summer tyres + alloy wheels ready for the spring.

The problem with Mytyres offer is that they only seem to have 16" wheels...not much good for those of us with "sport" braking systems...need at least a 17" wheel to get clearance.

Where did you see the offer?

winter tyre offer

It was apparently on the AutoTrader blog a couple of weeks ago and said :

We can only assume the top bods at Mercedes UK have seen just as many stranded cars littering the nation’s roads as we have.
Flailing around in the snow, wheels spinning to oblivion, cars on summer rubber are hard to drive in snow and ice if you’re an expert – and next to useless for anyone else.

In colder climates it’s common – and often a legal requirement – to fit winter tyres in preparation for the dark months: but not in Blighty.
Even snow chains seem to be out of fashion with motorists.
So thank you Mercedes for realising there’s a problem and offering winter tyres at its dealerships for its entire model range.
Some 650 tyre and wheel combinations will be available with prices starting from £75 plus VAT and fitting for a Mercedes A-Class and £120 plus VAT and fitting for its popular C-Class saloon.
With a softer compound comprising more natural rubber, deeper grooves and a different tread pattern they give more bite in the snow.
And it doesn’t have to be a whiteout for you to benefit; as soon as the temperature dips below seven degrees there is significantly more grip on wet and dry roads.
On an icy road your car’s stopping distance at 20mph can be improved by the length of a bus.
Do you think your dealership should offer a winter alternative? Let us know by leaving a comment.

There must also be some truth in it because Mercedes (eventually) cottoned on to what I was asking about.

Geoff

Yes, I think its really good to see MB promote the safety of a product which could save a life. Good on them, a competitive pricing strategy and they'll be onto a winner.

Agree totally and with recent experience would definitely purchase a winter set.

out of interest, what happens with your other wheels/tyres?
I take it they come and collect your car and return it with the spare original set??
or are they nice and store your originals at the dealer until your ready to have them refitted?
Thinking of it this way, there would be a small market to "hire" winter wheels/tyres? :)

Is there any benefit to winter tyres if you have them on large alloys?

My new E350 which is on order has 265/35/18 on the rear, and if I were to put winter tyres on I would probably buy an identical set of alloys to keep the look of the car.

Would I benefit fully from winter tyres at this size?

Definitely interested once I get the car so I can be ready in time for next winter.

out of interest, what happens with your other wheels/tyres?
I take it they come and collect your car and return it with the spare original set??
or are they nice and store your originals at the dealer until your ready to have them refitted?
Thinking of it this way, there would be a small market to "hire" winter wheels/tyres? :)

In Germany garages will store your other set of wheels/tyres for a small fee (~€50). It's really the only way it can work. Who wants to have to cart the wheels back and forth? Who has the correct storage available at home?

If you do sufficient miles (60k/yr) you could time it that the new rubber goes on in the late autumn, (say late sept when temps rarely exceed 8c) and 6 months later (end march) you'd have worn them down sufficiently so you could get a nice summer set.

In Germany garages will store your other set of wheels/tyres for a small fee (~€50). It's really the only way it can work. Who wants to have to cart the wheels back and forth? Who has the correct storage available at home?

This is exactly the way it's done in Sweden too. A dealer, tyre sales company or just a local storage place will store your summer/winter tyres in locked facilities for around £100-150 a year. Not bad I think.

As winter tyres is a law in Sweden (and Germany + many other EU states), car dealers will normally sell a new car with winter tyres included in the deal. In 99% of new car sales, this would be on steel wheels, all obviously big enough for fitment of large brakes etc.

A great business if you ask me.

This is exactly the way it's done in Sweden too. A dealer, tyre sales company or just a local storage place will store your summer/winter tyres in locked facilities for around £100-150 a year. Not bad I think.

As winter tyres is a law in Sweden (and Germany + many other EU states), car dealers will normally sell a new car with winter tyres included in the deal. In 99% of new car sales, this would be on steel wheels, all obviously big enough for fitment of large brakes etc.

A great business if you ask me.

Not so any more, the law was changed a couple years ago. If you have an accident the police will inspect the tyres and if they believe they were unsuitable you'll get a fine ~ €100, not bad BUT your insurance will be void....

If you do sufficient miles (60k/yr) you could time it that the new rubber goes on in the late autumn, (say late sept when temps rarely exceed 8c) and 6 months later (end march) you'd have worn them down sufficiently so you could get a nice summer set.

Generally tyres are changed oct-nov time and back again mar-apr. Most Germans manage 3 winters from a set.

You will save money on rubber even on low mileage just because you are not using your main tyres for several months, so they will last longer.

Generally tyres are changed oct-nov time and back again mar-apr. Most Germans manage 3 winters from a set.

Ok-I should have elaborated my thinking that I was meaning fitting winter tyres to the same alloy wheel that is on the car. 60k/yr (I get 30k/set of tyres) would mean a set of steel wheels and storing another set of alloys need not be an issue if you did such a milliage that wore 2 sets of tyres/year.

Ok-I should have elaborated my thinking that I was meaning fitting winter tyres to the same alloy wheel that is on the car. 60k/yr (I get 30k/set of tyres) would mean a set of steel wheels and storing another set of alloys need not be an issue if you did such a milliage that wore 2 sets of tyres/year.

I understood what you were saying Steve, I was just recounting what my driver was telling me, he lives in southern Germany.

I would wonder though, would winter tyres wear as quickly as summer tyres? Speeds are generally lower, conering slower and the road surface less abrasive?

If you don't want to go to the full-on winter treads (given that UK snow and ice periods tend to be fairly short) then you could try the compromise of an 'all-year' snow-rated tyre such as the Nokian WR. We have them on a light 4x4 and on a people carrier that spent last winter in the Pyrenees and this winter in the UK. Both had no problems in the recent snow although the 4x4 got most use. I first fitted these on a W126 300SE about seven years ago and the next owner rang me when they needed replacement to source them again. The first set lasted about 20,000 miles and the second set must be on about 25,000 without checking with him. The rubber on snow tyres is manufactured to stay softer at low temperatures ensuring the tread clears as intended. They are fairly noisy compared with decent summer tyres and have gone up in price in recent years. We originally went for these because I worked abroad and was horrified to come back one winter and find my wife's car struggling for grip on a steep hill that stayed frozen all day on her route to and from work. It made it simpler to go for the Nokian WR rather than a full-on winter tyre which meant her deciding when it was necessary to change and paying £60 (x2) fitting a set with only one set of wheels. If you know you will be keeping the car for at least three years, I would go for another set of wheels and full winter Nokians or Vredesteins along with whatever summer tyre suits your driving best.

Winter tyres

I have an E320 and its totally useless in snow or ice. I called Mercedes about their new programme. £2200 for all 4 wheels and tyres; special order from Germany; pay up front; no delivery time quoted; tyres are whatever they have at the time, possibly Pirelli, Continental or Michellin, but not sure.

Dealer told me they had not ordered any yet.

Some special programme!

mytyres doesn't list my car for the wheel tyre combo, but must be a pretty standard size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom