MercedesMe update (warning, grumpy old bastard alert)

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126969

It's probably just me....

Tried to set pre-entry climate on the car this morning (C350e). If this ever works first try, it genuinely surprises me as it's so flakey. Anyway, after 6 failed attempts I shutdown the app and re-started it. I was greeted by a new version, complete with a lovely magnolia tree background and beautiful falling petals animation...and bugger all else. Nothing worked or was even visible on the 'home' screen. It had at least recognised my account and car though - those settings where correct.

About half an hour later, the screen is now re-populated with the usual icons for the services I do have. As usual, it took 5 attempts before the pre-entry would actually activate. One plus-side of the update is that it now tells you it's failed rather than before when it just dumped you back to the setting screen. So, there's that I suppose.

This system is just garbage. I strongly suspect it's the car to network comms to blame, but I'll never be able to find something like that out. I have excellent service on my own mobile phone here by the way, but no idea what the car 'sees' nor which network it uses.

In contrast, I have a couple of similar systems that rely on back-office remote services, but they use my internet service to communicate. If they misbehave, it's a genuine surprise as it happens so rarely, unlike MercedesMe where I consider myself lucky if it works at all, let alone does anything 'difficult' like ask the car to do something. Results are consistent across 3 different mobile devices by the way.

I sold my trusty Jeep last week....I really wish I'd kept it and got rid of this bloody MB. I hate it, and MB, and most of all, myself, for buying it.

Tried to set pre-entry climate on the car this morning (C350e). If this ever works first try, it genuinely surprises me as it's so flakey. Anyway, after 6 failed attempts I shutdown the app and re-started it. I was greeted by a new version, complete with a lovely magnolia tree background and beautiful falling petals animation...and bugger all else. Nothing worked or was even visible on the 'home' screen. It had at least recognised my account and car though - those settings where correct.

About half an hour later, the screen is now re-populated with the usual icons for the services I do have. As usual, it took 5 attempts before the pre-entry would actually activate. One plus-side of the update is that it now tells you it's failed rather than before when it just dumped you back to the setting screen. So, there's that I suppose.

This system is just garbage. I strongly suspect it's the car to network comms to blame, but I'll never be able to find something like that out. I have excellent service on my own mobile phone here by the way, but no idea what the car 'sees' nor which network it uses.

In contrast, I have a couple of similar systems that rely on back-office remote services, but they use my internet service to communicate. If they misbehave, it's a genuine surprise as it happens so rarely, unlike MercedesMe where I consider myself lucky if it works at all, let alone does anything 'difficult' like ask the car to do something. Results are consistent across 3 different mobile devices by the way.

I sold my trusty Jeep last week....I really wish I'd kept it and got rid of this bloody MB. I hate it, and MB, and most of all, myself, for buying it.
My memory is shocking but if I remember right, the car connects to Vodafone. Perhaps test connectivity ina city centre where signal strength will be strong for all networks.

I never got MercedesMe working. Got the OBD reader, made an account but the VIN number of my car is registered to another MercedesMe account.

Contacted MercedesMe directly to see if they could help me out. They didn’t. So I’ve never used it.

Have to say, I’ve not had any problems at all with mine. The UX people should have spent more time on the app than the bloody magnolia petals though.
@Chris-S , should have kept the Jeep! I really love mine 👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

• B4130487-48DA-44D9-A64D-1688F14194A3.png
    B4130487-48DA-44D9-A64D-1688F14194A3.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 2
It's probably just me....

It's not just you and I think you certainly qualify for a copy of the t shirt Mrs Spiky bought me a couple of years back: ( although mine doesn't have the spelling mistake!)
grumpy-old-git-checklist-t-shirt-royal-blue_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom