Merdedes Me AGAIN!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
I took two of my grandkids to see Aladdin last night, (it was dire) did the good thing by switching my phone Tone off, just sat down and Mercedes Me sends me the "Starter charge status of vehicle is critical" message. I haven't used the car since Friday afternoon but it's been used constantly for a trip to Dumfries and daily 60 odd miles to and from work in Cambridge! I'm beginning to wonder if the Battery is failing, there is a Charging problem, or do I need to set up a Trickle Charger if I don't use the car for more than 24 Hrs!

So youve already spoken to the dealer then?

Question is at what point in time was this message flagged? Could it for example be just a brief point in time after say cold starting your car and before the alternator had the chance to recharge it that the battery voltage momentarily dipped below the critical voltage threshold? Does this have to happen set number of times within a certain time period for the low voltage to be flagged? What is the voltage threshold set at? You know when you received the message but how does that relate to the time the fault was flagged? Too many imponderables to know if you have a defective battery/alternator or not. If the car is nearly new the battery should be fine [ unless badly manufactured] likewise the alternator [ check the poly V belt isn't slipping] Its possible the recent cold snap has revealed a pre-existing problem and should be checked out by the nearest MB dealer if under warranty. During this holiday period keeping the battery topped up on a charger [ I recommend Ctek] might not be a bad idea in the meantime till you can get it checked out.

Question is at what point in time was this message flagged? Could it for example be just a brief point in time after say cold starting your car and before the alternator had the chance to recharge it that the battery voltage momentarily dipped below the critical voltage threshold? Does this have to happen set number of times within a certain time period for the low voltage to be flagged? What is the voltage threshold set at? You know when you received the message but how does that relate to the time the fault was flagged? Too many imponderables to know if you have a defective battery/alternator or not. If the car is nearly new the battery should be fine [ unless badly manufactured] likewise the alternator [ check the poly V belt isn't slipping] Its possible the recent cold snap has revealed a pre-existing problem and should be checked out by the nearest MB dealer if under warranty. During this holiday period keeping the battery topped up on a charger [ I recommend Ctek] might not be a bad idea in the meantime till you can get it checked out.

Graeme,

Search for my Post: Mercedes Me Useful? It details more about the Battery Charging problem (If I knew how to add a Link I would have done so) :oops:

you mean
Mercedes Me Useful?

So you have had one instance of battery flattening completely already- albeit after a fortnight's sitting parked up. Now one thing occurs and that is batteries of any age don't like to be completely flattened . To regain full capacity they have to be reconditioned rather than recharged .
Sometimes if a battery is flattened it never regains its full design capacity meaning it can't meet the same demands. I'm don't know if this applies to AGM batteries or not?

you mean
Mercedes Me Useful?

So you have had one instance of battery flattening completely already- albeit after a fortnight's sitting parked up. Now one thing occurs and that is batteries of any age don't like to be completely flattened . To regain full capacity they have to be reconditioned rather than recharged .
Sometimes if a battery is flattened it never regains its full design capacity meaning it can't meet the same demands. I'm don't know if this applies to AGM batteries or not?

The message was sent after 4 days of the car being parked in my garage, I know that new technology built into these machines needs power to survive, but as the only extra component that I have introduced is my Dash Cam that is hardwired to a ignition off Fuse, I would expect the Battery and it's charging system to be slightly more robust!:wallbash:

15500 mile Servicing carried out on the 1st December with no problems reported, and I can only admit to using my car radio tuned to a rather loud Planet Rock every time I drive the car, maybe that's the culprit! o_O

Mercedes Me doesn't help as it must use the cars Battery Power in order to monitor the background systems and ultimately send out the "Too late your Battery's flat" message!:p

Anybody else having similar problems? :rolleyes:

We left ours at home for ten days unattended and had no issues with battery state or Mercedes Me messages.

Thanks GeeJayW, for the feedback, looks like I'm the only one having this problem, I don't know how my Dealership are going to diagnose it though!:eek:
No worries. I hope they can sort it for you.

Hope MB are better than Jaguar Dealerships, if you have a dash cam fitted, their default get out clause is the battery drain is caused by the camera.

Not yet, it's Christmas Eve and they are closed. :wallbash:

I have just been for a 60 Mile blast, just enough to recharge the Battery!

Anyone else with a W205 or similar noticing Battery Problems please feel free to pitch in! :rolleyes:

I have had two warnings on my w205 about the battery, both false. As on each occasion I checked with a voltmeter and the reading was 12.4v and 12.2v i.e. fully charged. Due for service next month, so will get it checked, but with any intermittent fault or reading, I'm not hopeful.

Is the battery warning feature a recent addition? Don't recall seeing this a few months ago.

Since the last update M Me now logs in every time I use it, previously it failed at least 50%.

I have had two warnings on my w205 about the battery, both false. As on each occasion I checked with a voltmeter and the reading was 12.4v and 12.2v i.e. fully charged. Due for service next month, so will get it checked, but with any intermittent fault or reading, I'm not hopeful.

Sorry to hear that, but also pleased that I'm not the only one! :wallbash:

What Year is yours?

Is the battery warning feature a recent addition? Don't recall seeing this a few months ago.

Since the last update M Me now logs in every time I use it, previously it failed at least 50%.

The Battery Warning may be new, but as I had it twice since getting the W205 on 1st April, I've decided I don't like it!:rolleyes:

In case that’s a typo, A fully charged six cell lead acid battery will be around 14.2 to 14.4 volts, not 12.2 to 12.4

If it wasn’t a typo, it looks like the car was correct in calling it flat.

Apologies for the pedantry but it does matter.

HTH

In case that’s a typo, A fully charged six cell lead acid battery will be around 14.2 to 14.4 volts, not 12.2 to 12.4

If it wasn’t a typo, it looks like the car was correct in calling it flat.

Apologies for the pedantry but it does matter.

HTH

Nope, not a typo 14v is a reading you would get after being charged or driven. But within 12 or 24 hours would settle to 12.4 or 12.6 for a new battery, and then continue to lose its charge. For an older battery, in my case the car is 18 months old. It is a perfectly good reading. And should in no way generate "Critical battery warning"

Last edited:
Hi, I have got the same problem. I have got a brand new E220d registered in September. I have left my car parked in my garage now for a week as i have just had a shoulder operation and yesterday i received a message saying that the starter battery charge is critical. Prior to this i had down a long journey surely the battery should last more than a week. I was an AA patrolman for 22 years and a mechanic before that and i have never had a battery of mine go flat that quick.

Regards John

@PCBUILDER, I would take the car back to the dealer and have them check it out. It could be something is draining the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom