Message for all Motorbike thieves:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
words fail me.........(steam pouring from ears)

But why are you so surprised. In this crazy politically correct world of ours the police have to keep all their resources available for pursuing law abiding citizens. :D

so equally you can ride your own bike without a helmet....?

blassberg said:
so equally you can ride your own bike without a helmet....?

By God, Holmes, you are right!!

I must be old-fashioned. Chase 'em, nudge 'em into a tree, bury 'em in a ditch. Save the court's time and our money.

Amazing, really.
Thirty years ago I was imprisoned for refusing to pay a fine for riding a motorcycle without a crash helmet (thirty days for a £10 fine on the first occasion)
And I had never been in any trouble with law, bike fully legal etc etc.

How times change.

I wonder were this will end. Perhaps Bank robbers won't be chased in case it upsets them!

nigel cross said:
I wonder were this will end. Perhaps Bank robbers won't be chased in case it upsets them!

If a burglar comes in the window at night, you'd better unlock the door for him/her, or else s/he might hurt himself using the window to leave (assuming s/he wants to).

If so, you'd be sued using the 1960 Occupier's Liability Act. A good example of well-meaning legislation going to pot, thanks to liberal-minded people in the judiciary.

Last edited:
nigel cross said:

I don't think we are too far away from that, although not cos it upsets them but because of pressure brought about by the moral panic our media create when people are serioulsy injured or killed.

Just last week a panda car near here pulled across a road to block a stolen scooter with 2 lads on - scooter failed to stop due to faulty brakes and lads fell off - just cuts n bruises but the case has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission to establish if the officers did anything wrong!

I'm afraid much as it sticks in our throats, I am really not surprised at the stance taken by the officers in the BBC story - taking it to its extreme, if the officers had chased it and the scooter in that case had crashed and the thief/twocer been seriouly injured or killed, the offers concerned would more than likely be facing criminal charges and maybe even a stint in prison. :mad:

Easier for them not to do it and just fill the rest of the shift in filling in govt paperwork. :devil:

By the same token , the unfortunate owner whose bike was stolen could probably sue the Police for failing to take reasonable steps to recover his property and apprehend the wrongdoers who preseted a danger to the public as long as they rode around unchallenged .

the police could sue the owner of the bike that was stolen for not providing a risk assesement and control measures that would be needed to prevent accidents and incidents as a result of it being stolen whilst in your ownership.

But then the owner could sue the manufacturer, dealer, person he got the bike off, for not making this known to him at the time of sale.

and they, inturn, could sue the government for coming up with such nonsense whilst cladding us all in cotton wool and tucking us up safe in our country.

Shoot them all and let God sort them out. thats what i say!

If nobody ever stole anything , and we lived in a Utopian society , the Police would be out of a job .

scumbag said:
the police could sue the owner of the bike that was stolen for not providing a risk assesement and control measures that would be needed to prevent accidents and incidents as a result of it being stolen whilst in your ownership.

But then the owner could sue the manufacturer, dealer, person he got the bike off, for not making this known to him at the time of sale.

and they, inturn, could sue the government for coming up with such nonsense whilst cladding us all in cotton wool and tucking us up safe in our country.

Shoot them all and let God sort them out. thats what i say!

:D :D That did make me laugh.

But its crazy and really that does highlight the way society is going.

Pathetic! :crazy: :crazy:

That is ridiculous.

However....

A Local Cop to me sees a stolen car coming the other way and turns around to go after it. (It speeds away).

Cop continues on the road in the hope of catching up (radios ahead).

Cop comes across same stolen car upside down in a field.

There was no "pursuit" as such.

Driver of stolen car is dead.

All very sad.

Next.

Cop gets arrested for causing death by dangerous driving on the instructions of the Independent Police Complaints Commision - so that everything can be seen as above-board. (HIS actions caused the driver of the stolen car to speed away).

Cop is suspended and sees his job (house etc) and pension (he'd lose everything that he'd paid in over the previous 25 years) disappearing from him if he is convicted.

CPS say there is no case to answer, Cop un-suspended but somewhat put out by doing what he saw was his job.....

Now.

You have to ask, does the Cop on the street really want all that?

Would you be happy to risk your home, livelihood, 11% of your salary for the last 20 years etc to go after some chav on a moped? (Even though you REALLY want to get the theiving little ghet?)

A Policemans lot is not a happy one.

:crazy: :(

PS

The media coverage was to the effect of "Man dies after Police deal with incident, Officer suspended". :crazy:

PPS

The death is included in the Home Office figures for "Deaths in Police Custody".

SimonsMerc said:
This is ridiculous.

Never have so few words said so much :)

Digressing slightly, while remaining on the subject of helmets and protective gear, I saw a guy on what appeared to be a Fat Boy Harley today riding at about 70 mph on a dual carriageway.............................wearing an open-faced helmet, shorts, t-shirt and sandals. In a way he looked really free and relaxed (and I was a bit jealous :)), but I was inwardly horrified.

Having once fallen off a trials bike (aged 19) while travelling at about 25 mph on a dirt track (while wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, along with a helmet), I can only imagine the extent of the potential injuries facing the Fat-Boy rider had he lost control of the bike at 70mph on Tarmac. Nearly all the skin on my left side, from my ribcage down to my knee, was grazed away and because I was wearing trainers, my ankle was broken and required pinning followed by three months of hobbling and physio. Fortunately I didn't need any skin-grafts, but my mum literally went into shock when she first saw me after the accident.....I'll never forget it.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I'm amazed how little respect (bike thieves included) some bikers have for their own health and safety. To not wear boots, gloves and CE armoured clothing when riding is clearly pretty reckless on it's own, but those who don't wear helmets must be practically suicidal. Considering the "offs" I've had in my biking career as well as those I've witnessed both on tracks and on the roads, I can't think of a single one where the helmet didn't make contact with the Tarmac (or a wall........or the bike) at some point before everything came to a halt.

However, if the thief chooses to nick a bike and then adds insult to injury by riding it without a helmet, he or she should expect that they're going to get chased and apprehended by the police. If that in turn means that they might end up brain damaged and possibly paralysed as a result of losing control (which is almost inevitable), then they only have their own abject stupidity to blame. After all, the police chase car thieves when they aren't wearing seatbelts, don't they..?

Kennet & Avon, kin unreal:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom