Metal cams for flat pack units

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Total off-the-wall request.

You know the little 3.5cm metal "cams" (pins) that are used in flat pack furniture? Don't suppose anybody has got 3 hanging around in the oddments box? The Boy managed to break a computer desk.

Tried DIY stores who came up with the classic lines "We don't sell them - you are the xxxth person to ask!" and "If I had a £1 for every person who asked I'd be a rich man!" Well become a rich man then!!!! :crazy:

Last edited:
Got 3 of the round cams and 2 of the pins. Just salvaged them from the bonfire I was gonna have tonight.

My local Ikea has a spare parts display in the customer services department where people can help themselves.

People I buy kitchens/bedrooms from (Crown) have cut down on the number of fittings in the packs. They figure that they have been over supplying for years so now fitters are bound to have a surplus.
It's a pain in the ar*e to find bits missing & have to get on the phone to ask them to post a few extra bits & pieces - must cost them more in the long run.

It's a pain in the ar*e to find bits missing & have to get on the phone to ask them to post a few extra bits & pieces - must cost them more in the long run.

As a fitter, I totaly agree!! I'm still suprised how many manufacturers supply missing/damaged items with a Q.passed sticker on them - when it clearly wasn't damaged in transit.:mad:

Going back to the missing cam/dowels - if the panel is not going to be seen, and I've got no spares, I just use carcus screws. Obviously, this isn't possible with 'stand alone' furniture.

they sell them in the Screwfix catalogue too, 2.80 buys a pack of wait for it..... 50 :eek: that should see you through most flatpack emergencies.

is it just me or is the Screwfix catalogue actually quite an interesting read?:eek: full of "oh I definitely NEED one of those" items.

no just me? I'll get my coat.

they sell them in the Screwfix catalogue too, 2.80 buys a pack of wait for it..... 50 :eek: that should see you through most flatpack emergencies.

is it just me or is the Screwfix catalogue actually quite an interesting read?:eek: full of "oh I definitely NEED one of those" items.

no just me? I'll get my coat.

Me too! Sadly there is a branch just down the road :eek:

And don't get me started on the CPC catalogue (which is just UP the road, so no postal charges!) :eek:

+2 - me too, some of their stuff is cheap rubbish but other stuff is regular branded gear you would buy anywhere else.
It's amazing when you go through their book how much you find you "need"

I find the same with the Maplin catalogue :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom