Metal Dust Cap Warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I know that my chrome dust valve cap mod was one that you all stood back to admire.................................

OK, so nobody actually knew I had them, but I DID :p

No not theft for a local BMX, when I went to test my tyre pressures this morning, I found all but one to be totally stuck on the valve.

I have had such metal dust caps for a few years now across a few cars and have never had this problem.

Long story short, mole grip and plyers, WD40 these were not comming off without the valve with them.

Trip to local Tyre shop, he finsihed my sentance for me when I said "I have metal dusct caps and they are...."

Apparently quite common.

It only cost me £10 to have 3 new valves fitted to car, which I am happy with.

Crappy black plastic dust caps for me from now on.

Learn from me, I would not have believed it, but be warned.

My Rover ones have a bit of coppaslip on them !!

They come off easy enough

Mark

I have had metal dust caps on my car for a year now. When I put them on, I put a thin smear of copper grease round the thread of the valve. This lasts a lot longer than normal grease, but do not get it on your clothes as it is very hard to get off.

Now you tell me!!!

Live and learn.................

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Now you tell me!!!

You never asked !! :)

I have posted a lot of my info on here - but I dont have anything like enough time to post all of my info here!!

Tip - put a bit of coppaslip on your wheelnuts and back face of your alloys - then the wheels will undo and come off nice and easily.
I also use it on Manifold bolts, turbo bolts (whoops you dont have one of them :)), and anything else that might possibly sieze !

HTH

Mark

I dont have to worry about my metal caps siezing, some b**tard nicked them :mad: .

Since then I just put a bit of silver paint on my black plastic ones :) , or am I just tight :rolleyes: .

Dont answer that one Mark :p .

Ive got nice 60p plastic jobs out of halfords after replacing a full set of them about 3 times i got fedup and admited defeat. Funnilly enough , the bastard that was stealing them from outside my house , hasnt nicked the plastic ones. :devil:

Originally posted by fuzzer
Ive got nice 60p plastic jobs out of halfords after replacing a full set of them about 3 times i got fedup and admited defeat. Funnilly enough , the bastard that was stealing them from outside my house , hasnt nicked the plastic ones. :devil:

There were no nicking these!

If you check your tyre pressures often , then they would not of have rusted. I have been using metal ones for 2 years or so.

Originally posted by Koolvin
If you check your tyre pressures often , then they would not of have rusted. I have been using metal ones for 2 years or so.

I ckeck pressures probably once a month. Have had metal caps on this car, the C200 and my 318iS. The out of the blue seazing is what made me post.

Might have been a reaction to some road salt that made them fuse.

I must admit , ive never used copper oxide on mine either and they have not stuck.

In my handbook, Mercedes-Benz says that Copper grease shouldn't be used on the roadbolts! It doesn't explain why, but maybe they are more likely to come off if they are greased, which wouldn't be cool! Might be worth cheking they are all done up to 110NM!

I used to have these on my old wheels (RIP)
Chrome valves with chrome caps, much nicer than black plastic valves with chrome caps IMHO and only £10 per set:

cvalve.jpg

Funnily enough I had new tyres fitted last week and asked if they would fit shiny metal valve stems and caps, the bloke said no he wouldn't recommend it as they can rust on. I thought it was a bit strange but obviously it can happen.

Has anyone used Spincaps - They are supposed to be thief proof (Probably up to a point) and spin in the NEDS (Non Educated Delinquents) hands. I have ordered a set from the US and hopefully they wil deter ther NEDS - I have only been an MB driver for a few weeks and have lost a set of metal valve caps already. Also thought about dabbing a spot of superglue to them when I leave the car unattended until I get the Spincaps.

Originally posted by Glenleven
Also thought about dabbing a spot of superglue to them when I leave the car unattended until I get the Spincaps.

Good idea if you never want to blow your tyres up again mate. As getting them off will destroy your valve.:crazy:

Let us know what these Spincaps look like when you have fitted them.:confused:

What I meant was - To dab superglue to the outside of the caps so that the @rseholes will be stuck to them.

erm wont the superglue just dry out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom