metal plate under engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb240

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
Hi,

I took my car for it's NCT (MOT in Ireland). It passed with no problems at all, but the bloke said there was a big metal plate under the engine. He called a few people over during the test which I could see from the observation area, and after when I asked him what was up, he said they hadn't seen such a thing before.

I got the car in 06, so 6 years old. Any ideas if this is normal for this car or was it something the first owner did? The only thing I can think of is that it was for sump protection because there are 6 trillion speed ramps in Dublin. The weight at test (with 90% fuel ~ 50 litres) was 1830kg.

Quite a desirable item. They go for big money on ebay. Its a factory fitted option.

I have one. When my front springs were broken ( unknown to me ) they proved invaluable ( especially on some of the roads in Donegal).

Hi,

I took my car for it's NCT (MOT in Ireland). It passed with no problems at all, but the bloke said there was a big metal plate under the engine. He called a few people over during the test which I could see from the observation area, and after when I asked him what was up, he said they hadn't seen such a thing before.

Sump protection plate, for third world countries where the roads are a bit bumpy, weigh a far bit.

Loads floating around because parts depts order them by mistake thinking they're the normal plastic ones...

W124 one is approx £180 according to inchcape.

i have one on mine - very heavy and makes oil changes a bit more difficult as you need to remove it and man handle it back into position.

well worth having though.

Sump protection plate, for third world countries where the roads are a bit bumpy, weigh a far bit.

Loads floating around because parts depts order them by mistake thinking they're the normal plastic ones...

Very strange thing to say. My car came from England.

Last edited:
See location... :thumb:

So silly. If you cared to check your facts you would find out easily that a car registered in 2003 in Ireland would have it's first test in 2007 and every 2 years after. So rather than have a pathetic "go" at another member, on the basis of being Irish, learn some manners. Do you have a CLK55? Have you seen the price to buy them and insure them in Ireland? You're right, he must be thick...:mad:

What i have never understood is why car insurance is so expensive in ireland?

Lynall

Yes i can understand that, but as thats not as mad as it used to be and how many private cars got shot up or blown up?

Lynall

Sorry maybe it was the tax i was thinking of:eek:

700euro doesnt sound to bad to me for a 55.

My keyboard is that old its got no euro symbol!

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom