Metal pressed (legal) numberplates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
According to the link, they are now legal

Discovered you can get them via the shops on this site HERE

I remember Shude commenting on how we should be able to have metal plates :)

BS145d_info_page.jpg

Last edited:
According to the link, they are now legal

Discovered you can get them via the shops on this site HERE

I remember Shude commenting on how we should be able to have metal plates :)

BS145d_info_page.jpg

I've had a set of these fitted to my C200K for about past 4 months - made in Germany - great 3D look.

Sorry for my ignorance; would you state the benefits of these plates, please?
Thanks, Matt

The benefits of these plates is that they do not delaminate like UK plastic ones but they do require a frame as they cannot be drilled to fit.

this is very interesting about these plates being legal for UK roads.

don't they have to be made of acrylic?

me aswell cant see any point will just look odd

don't get me wrong , they are great. 1000 times better quality than the standard crappy uk ones :) id love to have them back. but plod took a dislike to them not that long ago and they came off.

they didnt have the postcode and the BS thing on it. A load of BS really as they were reflective and easilly read. ah well..

Deleted.

don't get me wrong , they are great. 1000 times better quality than the standard crappy uk ones :) id love to have them back. but plod took a dislike to them not that long ago and they came off.

they didnt have the postcode and the BS thing on it. A load of BS really as they were reflective and easilly read. ah well..

No wonder. Mine were purchased with the Safety standard and postcode on them. They are not bad plates only prob is cleaning dead insects off, much easier with the acrylic ones. At the end of the day it's down to personal choice.

this is very interesting about these plates being legal for UK roads.

don't they have to be made of acrylic?

No, M-B dealers were doing flat metal plates (not raised lettering) a little while ago, possibly still are? So long as the reflective surface meets the BS spec. it doesn't matter what the plate itself is made of.

I just tried searching for my nearest supplier. None within 10 miles. Tried 100 miles and the nearest is in Northern Ireland! Next Bradford, Leeds, Stoke-On-Trent...

I've always wanted to get the black on silver number plate look, i know they aren't legal cuz my car isn't old enough but i still wouldn't mind doing it, they look the business! (and maybe if cops are ignorant enough they'll look at my w202 and think its really old!) :)

I've always wanted to get the black on silver number plate look, i know they aren't legal cuz my car isn't old enough but i still wouldn't mind doing it, they look the business! (and maybe if cops are ignorant enough they'll look at my w202 and think its really old!) :)

And worth risking a fine?

I see a fair few new cars in London wearing black/silver plates ... last couple I remember were an S63 and a Bentley. If you can afford a hundred grand plus on a car then a £30 fine (or whatever) isn't going to be much of a deterrent.

I just tried searching for my nearest supplier. None within 10 miles. Tried 100 miles and the nearest is in Northern Ireland! Next Bradford, Leeds, Stoke-On-Trent...

I *think* MB themselves do (or did) supply pressed metal plates, on special request - at least at one time.

One of the members of a 190 club that I'm a member of bought proper MB metal plates from a dealer in London this way. Not sure if this is available across the board though.

Personally, I'm not certain whether I like them or not. What puts me off is the fact that they look too 'different' for my liking. Don't like to draw un-neccessary attention to my car/myself, if that makes any kind of sense! :eek:

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom