Metallic black or, proper black-black

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Not sure if this is the right topic area but it's not a body work problem I have.

Can anyone shed some light on the benefits, or otherwise, of choosing a metallic or pearlescent black over a standard solid black. I guess in certain light conditions the non-solid variety can look pretty stunning if it's cared for and newly washed and waxed but equally, so can a solid in an old world charming way.

I have a pearlescent black Polo which was supposed to be bomb proof from a paintwork point of view but, even after a years worth of delicate TLC, it is showing signs of very fine scratching / haze but not swirls strangely enough. Does anyone with the Nano paint (black) notice any real world benefits?. Are there waxes or conditioners which are best suited to black?

And, completely off tangent, if you were to have leather with black paintwork of any description, do the creams or beiges create a better impact visually than the blues, reds, or greys?.

So many questions I know :eek:

Portzy.

portzy said:
Not sure if this is the right topic area but it's not a body work problem I have.

Can anyone shed some light on the benefits, or otherwise, of choosing a metallic or pearlescent black over a standard solid black. I guess in certain light conditions the non-solid variety can look pretty stunning if it's cared for and newly washed and waxed but equally, so can a solid in an old world charming way.

I have a pearlescent black Polo which was supposed to be bomb proof from a paintwork point of view but, even after a years worth of delicate TLC, it is showing signs of very fine scratching / haze but not swirls strangely enough. Does anyone with the Nano paint (black) notice any real world benefits?. Are there waxes or conditioners which are best suited to black?

And, completely off tangent, if you were to have leather with black paintwork of any description, do the creams or beiges create a better impact visually than the blues, reds, or greys?.

So many questions I know :eek:

Portzy.

Last question first :) Yes without a doubt !!!

It completely raises the class of the car (look at KLP's brabus)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10335

While the car looked ok with the old off colour mushoom it looks amazing with the white/cream interior :cool:

When I bought a Saab the dealer suggested that dark cars = lightest leathers and light cars = darkest blacks it helps to give contrast.
The exception is dark greens that looks better with a darker tan (but still light).

Choice of black is very important as not all black is black :crazy: I saw an SL55 yesterday and the owner had chosen "black" instead of the "obsidian black" it made the car look flat and sad :(

I agree - cream or white leather with a black car looks the dog's danglies. Pale grey is OK too. Coloured leather has to be so very carefully done otherwise it just looks naff imho.

As for pearl/metallic over flat - then yes always looks better and is a little more forgiving on the swirle front in that at least the metallic particles reflect the light better than a flat paint which would show the slightest mark.

I had flat black once - would be highly unlikely to have it again unless I had no choice. :D

Flat black can look ok:

110574212729123200343633PM.JPG

With regads to interior, dark shades look nice with light colours. I find light grey is a cold but airy colour for the interior and cream is warmer & more cosy colour. Light colours need a dak interior to contrast.

KLP 92 said:
Flat black can look ok:

I think it has alot to do with the car shape as well :D

Only metallic paint has a clear coat over the top.

The extra lacquer has got to be a good thing.

Sp!ke said:
Only metallic paint has a clear coat over the top.

Ermm - are you sure??? :confused:

Top coat

All the "Nano" paints have a top lacquer coat.

Mike

I've got a proper black SL and the S is met black.

The paint on the SL is much better quality, and looks better when they are next to each other.

The Met black has also marked quite badly despite being valeted once or twice a week and has had one complete professional polish and one partial to rectify problems.

Shanewcar2005032.JPG

Next time will choose solid black again over met black.

MikeL said:
All the "Nano" paints have a top lacquer coat.
The "nano" part *is* the lacquer IIRC.

I was under the impression that all the paints were primer+base+clear, no matter whether they were solid, metallic or pearlescent.

No it generally just the metallics & pearls that have the clear on top.

The Mini is Solid black. Chosen over metallic and I love it. Only thing is it does show up the marks if not kept on top of. But stunning when polished. Just wish I had paid to have to protective finish put over the paint as it seems to chip easily round the front. :crazy:

mini1.jpg

Shude said:
I was under the impression that all the paints were primer+base+clear, no matter whether they were solid, metallic or pearlescent.

Yes - I would agree that the vast majority of modern paint systems utilise lacquer, even on basic solid colours like 040 black.

Older, now pretty much obsolete or obscure paint finishes don't always have lacquer (I'm thinking cellulose and some 1K systems), but my old W202 was 040 black and was definately lacquered. A W201 190E which I owned many moons ago was also 040 black, but this was not lacquered (80's paint systems! ;) )

2K paint when it is lacquered is pretty durable. Ie, quite good at resisting scratches, doesn't dull as much as cellulose did in UV and was also better at resisting stone chips.

Now water based paint....that's another story, but I think that is normally even lacquered too?

As usual, I could well be wrong, but I defy anyone to tell me that my 040 black W202 wasn't lacquered - it most definately was! :p

Will

So, a varied split then. I can see the notion of dark paintwork=light interior and light paintwork=dark interior having been a member of the ''silver with anthracite cloth'' club for longer than I care to remember.

I would eventually like to break out from that mindset though and give the other combinations a go. If at some point I bought a car which was silver and it came with leather I would probably be reluctant to have black because the impact of contrast would not be obvious so, the natural ''best'' to me would be light grey, Alpaca Grey code 878?.

If it was to be black, either solid or metalic, then my first instinct takes me to the same grey, Alpaca Grey code 878 but, then I have a rethink, and I imagine it could come across as cold and uninviting so maybe beige?, Orient Beige code 875?.

Then I am back to the solid vs metalic dillema. Bear in mind that I have never,(and will never), drive anything larger than what you see below does the physical size of the car have a bearing on matters?. I can see the immense road presence of say an S Class coupe in absolutely gleaming solid black being a sight to behold but does that translate into a similar effect with say a C Class coupe or, even smaller, an SLK?.

There will come a time when I have to cross this bridge thats why I am reluctant to jump in feet first without seeking as much advice as I can especially from, (dare I say it?), seasoned and senior members?.

Best Regards.

Dave.

I have a C class with diamond black metallic and it looks great as long as you don't touch it with anything.
In certain lights it also looks a very dark blue.

I bought one of those new car washing devices that rinses the car with de-ionised water which works very well and leaves no white stains or spots.

I haven't polished the car yet and I've had it two weeks!!

Dave

Portzy, are you sure you cancelled the order for the new SLK ?

Aswall said:
Metallic/pearlescent black - Classy

Flat black - Taxi

Surely that is a matter of opinion. I've seen some classy cars in disgusting colours (metallic brown, lurid colours spring to mind).

My current W202 is 199 Blue-Black metallic, which I like, but at first I had my reservations - I nearly dismissed the car because I desperately wanted 040 black (taxi black?).

Anyway, many taxis, minicabs and 'box cars' seem to be silver these days! I know the model T Ford was 'black only' but this seems to have evolved into the common Ford focus, only available in silver! :p

Will

PJH said:
Portzy, are you sure you cancelled the order for the new SLK ?

Technically?, yes. Hypothetically?, yes. Financially?, nnn,,,yes. Dream factory?......Oh Dear!

It pains so much everytime I see one, (which isnt often). Its like when the Priest in the Exorcist douses Linda Blair (the monster) with Holy Water. ''It Hurts... It Hurts....'', remember?. Then she really loses it big time and starts spinning her head around?. Well mines going around in circles that much its nigh on dropping off I can tell you, ah say I can tell you!!!!.

One day it will happen though, I'm certain. Call this stage of my therapy ''preparation'' I guess.

Portzy.

Of course it is, pretty much everything on an internet forum is somebodies opinion. Blue black was my favourite Merc colour, fantastic in sunlight

My Capri is flat black by the way, the one crucial advantage it has is being much, much easier to match new paint in. Noone mistakes that for a taxi though :p

What is Obsidian Black classed as? Is it the standard metalic black for MB or is it a different option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom